retrospect 8 backup from QNAP NAS

pbartoli

Hello,

I'm currently running Retrospect 8.2 on Mac OSX backing up some Macs on an ethernet network.

I've just installed a QNAP TS-219P II NAS file server, and would like to install the retrospect client on the NAS to backup its files to an external HD.

I guess, since I know QNAP NAS is running Linux, that I need to install the Retrospect Linux client onto the QNAP.

Since I have no particular knowledge of Linux and QNAP, anyone has already worked with both? Any indication as how I can install the client onto the QNAP?

Thanks

Hi

I've just installed a QNAP TS-219P II NAS file server, and would like to install the retrospect client on the NAS to backup its files to an external HD.

What precisely do you want to backup from the NAS? If it just the contents of shares on the NAS then there is an inbuilt backup to external hard drive utility in the NAS firmware.

I guess, since I know QNAP NAS is running Linux, that I need to install the Retrospect Linux client onto the QNAP.

Although QNAP NAS units run Linux it is a very customised version of Linux which runs off a DOM chip on the units. Even if it is possible to install the Retrospect Linux client on the NAS firmware you would need a good understanding of Linux to do it.

Since I have no particular knowledge of Linux and QNAP, anyone has already worked with both? Any indication as how I can install the client onto the QNAP?

Although I use the Windows version of Retrospect I backup to a share on a QNAP TS-459 Pro+. I then backup the Retrospect share to external hard disks [connected via eSATA] using the backup utility in the NAS firmware on a rotation.

To ensure that the Retrospect Catalog file matches the Disk Backup Set files I keep the catalog file in the same share as the backup files so when I backup the share the catalog file gets backed up too.

John.