How to set up email preferences with Gmail

Ahari

I am new to these forums, but have bumbled along with Retrospect for many years, just fiddling to get things to work.

Since Windows 7 does not allow Retrospect to run "in the open" and you don't really know what is going on with the scripts, I am trying to set up Retrospect 8 to email me when there is a script failure or media request.

I have entered in all the details for my Gmail account, but keep getting the following error when I try to send a test email:

"Email notification failed: error -592 (invalid response from SMTP server)"

Please can someone help me to get this working.

I don't really know what I am doing!

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

SSL/TLS is on by default and Retrospect will initially try to connect securely and fall back to insecure if that fails. If the SSL/TLS settings are wrong and the SMTP server does not support insecure connections that email sending will fail.

Have you tried entering "smtp.gmail.com:465" (without the quotes!) for the Gmail SMTP server? I believe that Retrospect defaults to port 587 for SSL/TLS connections but Gmail uses port 465.

That works. I didn't realize I had to specify the port that way (URL style). I thought there would've been a separate textbox in the dialog if non-standard ports were supported. The documentation (from what I found) didn't give any details on how to specify the port.

Thanks for the help.