Unknown Windows OS 305

master

I am facing the problem.............the backup client execution failed. following is the error

T-18: Maperror: unknown Windows OS 305

T-18: TPC File :: SetShortName: UsetFileShortName failed, D:\folder1\Folder1a, Winerr 305, Error -1001.

at end

Trouble Writing files, error -557 (transaction already completed)

Kindly give solution my backup didnt work.............some are working but some are not working.....

Note: Source is Windows Server 2008 Destination is Windows Server 2012.

The destination has multiple drive ...where backup stores....the partition is on basic and has capicty of 1 TB.

A "destination" is always a "media set". A "media set" has "members". Do you mean that your media set has more than one member?</p>

I quote rhwalker.

Please provide:

(1) complete version number of Retrospect

(2) complete version number of the OS

(3) complete description of hardware being used.

(4) complete description of the steps you are doing

(5) complete description of the problem

Retrospect version is 7.6

OS Version source system has windows server 2008 and destination system has Windows Server 2012

Hardware is 1TB WD sata drive plugin the system

Steps are one i add the source System then add the destination system then i make duplicate script on source system (system has retrospect Backup Software installed) where add the source media set with particular folder then i add the destination media set with particular folder. then execution the backup

problem:

in during backup execution the when software copying the file.the execution is incomplete error occur. when i see log the above mention error where in the log.

A "duplicate" is not a "backup". You should be performing "backups" instead. One major benefit is that you can keep many "backups" on the same "destination ( = "media set" ). With a duplicate, you can only save the last one on the same volume.

It isn't clear if you run the Retrospect Server on Windows 2008 or Windows 2012. No matter, as version 7.6 is too old to be supported on either of them.

• 6 months later...

I have a similar problem as <master> above. I am running the "Duplicate" function from a Windows Server 2008 file server to a Windows 2012 Storage Server. I am on Retrospect 8.2.0(177) running on a dedicated Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit box with 32GB RAM.

I am doing the "Duplicate" function to clone my file server in preparation to transition to the 2012 Storage Server. I am also trying to duplicate the file permissions between the servers to avoid the tedious process of checking each folder for permissions.

• 2 months later...

So, I don't understand that the solution is to use "backup" instead of "duplicate".  I don't need backups because the file will never change.  I want to duplicate files that will never change.  Please advise what this error means:

MapError:  unknown Windows error 305

SetShortName:  USetFileShortName failed, G:\filename,  osErr 305,  error  -1001

System error code 305 is typically displayed as "ERROR_SHORT_NAMES_NOT_ENABLED_ON_VOLUME" and/or as the hexidecimal value 0x131. The message associated with this error code is "Short names are not enabled on this volume.".

Common Causes of System Error Code 305

System Error Code 305 is commonly caused by:

• Windows Registry Damage or Corruption
  • Device Driver Conflicts
  • Hardware Malfunction
  • Virus or Spyware Infection
  • Software File Damage or Corruption

Try run CHKDSK on the source volume.