Scanning incomplete, error -1100 ( invalid handle)

This has happened after deleting the config80 files and re-doing the scrips (proactive) and adding clients.

Retro 10.0.1 (105)

Mac OSX 10.8.2

MacPro Early 2009

Running proactive script

Error:

Normal backup using Desktops at 06/02/2013 (Activity Thread 1)

To Backup Set InHouse Backup...

- 06/02/2013 09:30:59: Copying xxxxxxxx

Scanning incomplete, error -1100 ( invalid handle)

I don't know what the error means, but I can have a guess anyway. Since it's during the scanning phase, there might be a problem with the disk directory on the source volume. Is the source volume the boot volume of the client computer? Then a safe boot should repair any problems with the disk directory.

Try a safe boot, then boot normally before trying again.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1564?viewlocale=en_US

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1455

If it's not the boot drive, just repair the volume using Apple's Disk Utility.

• 1 month later...

I don't know what the error means, but I can have a guess anyway. Since it's during the scanning phase, there might be a problem with the disk directory on the source volume. Is the source volume the boot volume of the client computer? Then a safe boot should repair any problems with the disk directory.

Try a safe boot, then boot normally before trying again.

http://support.apple...iewlocale=en_US

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1455

If it's not the boot drive, just repair the volume using Apple's Disk Utility.

This is such a weird one. I re-installed my Retrospect and now constantly keep getting the following

Normal backup using Macintosh HD Backup - 2013-03-25 1:52 AM at 2013-03-25

To Backup Set

Full Macintosh HD Backup... - 2013-03-25 7:11:52 AM: Copying Macintosh HD Scanning incomplete, error -1100 ( invalid handle)

I've made sure that nothing is scanning - Spotlight, Launchbar etc I even turned off RetroISA

I've had errors before but never anything like this.

I've rebuilt the drive using Disk Warrior even though Disk Utility checked it out as fine.

I have no idea what to do about this.

Ran TechTools Pro and deleted all corrupt files and that did no good so I ran Disk Warrior and there were still 6 bad files and that did no good.

So from the post just before this I did what it suggested and that did no good.

What a waste of time for a simple backup. I've used Retrospect since 2003 and have never encountered anything like this. it has to be something in the upgrade. This should not be the case in the Mac environment. Mac users just want things to work rather than pulling everything to pieces only to find each thing, which is time consuming does nothing.

-------------

Posted Today, 12:46 AM

Please see this article and change:

SetFoundationLogging=6 (from 3)

SetVolumesLogging=7 (from 3)

Then perform backup and see if the log shows error -1100 with additional related info. Also, does the volume with error -1100 have a hidden Time Machine folder "Backups.backupdb"?

------------------------------

I found a workaround for this error 1100. It seems the error occurs (sometimes) when the server is scanning its own source drives. To overcome this, install the Retrospect Client on the server, set it up as a "Remote" source and then use that.

The Client doesn't seem to suffer the same problem when it does its scanning.

• 2 weeks later...

Please see this article and change:

SetFoundationLogging=6 (from 3)

SetVolumesLogging=7 (from 3)

Then perform backup and see if the log shows error -1100 with additional related info. Also, does the volume with error -1100 have a hidden Time Machine folder "Backups.backupdb"?

So from the post just before this I did what it suggested and that did no good.

After changing the logging levels and restarting the engine as described in the KB link, does the log not show additional info before the error -1100?