Instant Scan - how to get it to run

JamesOakley

Using Retrospect Professional 8, I am on Windows 7 (x64) and have one networked client (Windows 7, x86).

If I run a backup script that includes volumes both on the local machine and on the client, the logs show "instant scan" as being used for the client volumes, but not for the local volumes. Starting a backup manually, and watching the file searches go through, would bear this out.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might get Instant Scan working on my local installation?

As far as I know instant scan is only intended for clients.

That seems arbitrary. Running Retrospect Professional (as opposed to one of the server editions) would have the master installation on one of the PCs that also needs backing up.

If you're right, I wonder if I can install the client app on the same PC as the server app, then back myself up by backing up the "client".

Edit: I'm sure that can't be the way it's intended to work; the installer for Retrospect Professional installed the Instant Scan service on the computer, created the settings files, started the service, etc.

Edit: I'm sure that can't be the way it's intended to work; the installer for Retrospect Professional installed the Instant Scan service on the computer, created the settings files, started the service, etc.

Instant Scan does work on the host system. What I found on my system was that something had become corrupted in the configuration and it had stopped working. To get it working I had to reinitialise it. That consisted of stopping the service, deleting the scan database files then restarting the service.

Don't bother. Instant Scan doesn't work as advertised at the moment. It sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. It causes other problems as well.

However if you can't resist the urge to test its functionality (or rather disfunctionality), more information about ISA and the ISA database locations can be found here: http://kb.retrospect.com/articles/en_US/Retrospect_Article/Retrospect-InstaScan-FAQ/

Currently we have its services disabled as it's flakey. It doen't always run, its database can get corrupted easily, and we've seen it adding all files to an incremental backup, thus creating full backups every time instead (and as such negating the prospect of having a faster backup completely). It shouldn't even have been in the 8.0 release and as 8.1 it indeed is beta-ware, so handle with care.