Network Bandwidth for Retrospect Backups

Speed depends on many factors such as cpu and i/o speed of the client, as wel as the backup server, and if encryption and/or compression are used. It also depends on the kind of files being backed up, a lot of small files are slower than a couple large files.

We get around 40MB/sec for encrypted disk-2-disk over a gigabit LAN for the faster clients. If we don't encrypt the speed actually depends on the i/o speed of the client (the backup server has faster i/o). However some clients are a lot slower, especially developer workstations with a lot of small files. That is where Retrospect is 'weak'. Especially when building catalogs, the system is waiting a lot and doing little.

Lennart is right however, it would work with 10 megabit, even slower (for example VPN's) works.

Does it actually require a minimum bandwidth? I would have thought it would use whatever you have and backup jobs will just take longer over lower bandwidth?

We used to duplicate backup sets across NAS devices through rSync over SSH and it worked well through a 2Mb link unless a large file changed! :)

Rich

• 2 months later...

I have a small network at home but back up laptops to my Retrospect Professional machine. What does the network bandwidth only max out at 45% on a 100 MB network / adaptors / one 100 MB hub? How do I adjust the setting on the server machine? I have the client set to dedicate 100% to the backup already.

What does the network bandwidth only max out at 45% on a 100 MB network / adaptors / one 100 MB hub?

Because you have a hub, not a switch. With a hub, half the bandwidth is used to communicate from the client to the hub, the other half of the bandwidth is used to communicate from the hub to the Retrospect server.

And because the way networks work, you will never have 100% throughput. There's always some overhead, so you get around 90% at best.

How do I adjust the setting on the server machine?

There's nothing you can do. There is no intentional/adjustable bottleneck in Retrospect.

Well, you could buy faster hardware. Start with a fast network switch.