Writer "ASR Writer" backup failed, error -1001 (unknown Windows OS error).

HawkInOz

Using Retrospect 8 Professional. Backing up two local drives (Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit) and one remote drive (Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit).

Every single backup completes "with X errors", however this is logged during each backup:

Writer "ASR Writer" backup failed, error -1001 ( unknown Windows OS error).

I've rebuilt the script from scratch after upgrading from version 7.7.

Any ideas on what may be causing this error and how to eliminate it?

• Like 1

Every single backup completes "with X errors", however this is logged during each backup:

Writer "ASR Writer" backup failed, error -1001 ( unknown Windows OS error).

Any ideas on what may be causing this error and how to eliminate it?

ASR Writer is part of the Windows Volume Shadow Copy Service. What Retrospect is telling you is that one of the machines you are backing-up is experiencing problems with this service. You will need to check the Retrospect log to see which machine is causing this error and then check the event logs on that machine to see what the exact problems are.

I think Retrospect makes a call to the Windows Volume Shadow Copy Service as part of Open File Backup and possibly when System State is being backed-up. All Windows tells Retrospect is whether the request to the writer succeeded or failed.

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I'm having the same problem under Windows 8.1/Retrospect 8.5.0(136).  I have an EFI motherboard (per http://kb.retrospect...cle/ASR-Writer/ article) and the C drive I'm backing up is an SSD drive.  My backup drive is a 2GB Passport USB 3.0 drive connected via a USB 3.0 port.  From the knowledgebase article I assume my files are being backed up, just not the complete Windows state allowing me to do a system recovery.  Is that true?

Has there been any progress on this problem?

• 3 months later...

I'm also having the same problem with several of our laptops (Retrospect 7.7 and now 9 Single Server Windows, laptops running Win8.1pro)

Is there a solution to this problem?

It's rather disappointing that the problem has been officially acknowledged over a year ago and no progress has been made...