mbernhardt

Retrospect 8 doesn't work with SPARC clients

We have several SPARC Solaris 8/9 clients. We have had not problem with them through retrospect 7.7. But they don't work anymore with 8. Retrospect failed to let us know that when they were promoting 8 to us.

Retrospect does communicate with the solaris client but can't read the file system. When trying to view volumes from the server, I get the error "can't track volumes error -1101

Backups do not happen.

Has anyone figured out how to make it work? What's it going to take to get Retrospect to put a few hours into this and make it work?

I did contact support and all they told me was that SPARC isn't supported any more. I responded with the same question I asked here but they didn't deign to answer me. My hope is that someone has figured out a workaround.

I've not seen a problem backing up Windows client VMs within VMware, using the 8.1 client. Something to note, when upgrading a client from 8.0 to 8.1, make sure you uninstall the client and blitz the remaining Retrospect folder before installing 8.1, else you'll see Instant Scan backups.

Richard

I am testing copying the missing retropds_solaris.pdu from version 7.6 Multiserver to the Retrospect 8 folder. I am now trying a Solaris 10 backup. The problem connecting to Solaris is fixed by getting a copy of the retropds_solaris.pdu into the Retrospect 8 folder.

• Like 1