No documentation -- How to upgrade server from 8.x to 10.x?

I've spent a couple of hours now trying to find out how to upgrade my Retrospect Server 8.x to 10.x. I can't seem to find any documentation on the site here. The documentation included in the 10.x upgrade is for Retrospect 8 which, unless I'm missing something, only talks about upgrading from the "classic" versions.

I (hesitantly) decided to just copy over the application and run it. Nothing blew up, but it doesn't upgrade the server daemons or the System Preferences plugin either -- even after shutting everything down. I haven't tried uninstalling 8 for fear of losing my scripts/schedules (among other things).

Any useful help, tips, steps or horror stories related to upgrading is welcome. Thanks!

Edit: After fiddling around and restarting, my email notification comes in showing that it is indeed still running the old version:

Date: 1/8/2013

+ Retrospect version 8.2.0.399

Launched at 1/8/2013 1:04 AM

Retrospect 9 and 10 both use the same configuration file as Retrospect 8, so you will not lose your scripts and schedules during the upgrade. Be sure that the Retrospect 8 engine process is running and the Retrospect 8 console application is not. When you copy over the Retrospect 10 console and launch it, it should recognize that the Retro 8 engine is a previous version and offer to upgrade it. If you don't get this message from the Retro 10 console, try quitting and relaunching it.

I couldn't find any formal documentation either so I emailed their Tech Support. This was the reply.

-----------------

Your Problem Description:

I'm not seeing a formal upgrade procedure in the 10 documentation. I tried to do an outright upgrade on my v9 system and the Console never properly connected to the Engine. I was able to revert back to v9 until I hear back from you. How do I properly upgrade my v9 to v10?

Agent Response:

Thank you for contacting Retrospect technical support. There is no formal procedure as an over-the-top installation should work perfectly. As this was not the case for you I would:

1) Uninstall Retrospect 9 using the uninstaller in the Retrospect folder (this does NOT touch ANY settings)

2) Verify that the engine is gone by checking the System Preference for a Retrospect icon

3) Install the Retrospect 10 console by dragging the folder to application then launching the console

4) Install the engine by clicking New > Install

Thank you for using Retrospect.

The Retrospect Support Team

• Like 1

@Twickland: thank for the reply. I had tried what you suggested, but it didn't work.

@Ark: My next step was to contact support, but I figured someone else had already done it. Thanks for posting the email and sharing it with everyone. Uninstalling and running the new app did the trick (mostly). A few additional notes though that may help others:

• You may have to manually stop the Retrospect Engine either with the System Preferences control panel or through Activity Monitor/command line before running the uninstaller script. The uninstaller just sat there on my machine until the engine was completely stopped. I had to force quit mine because the system control panel wouldn't stop it and the processes would not respond to regular quit commands).
  • I had to quit and relaunch the app before it recognized the server and asked for my license code.
  • As I originally mentioned in my first post, I too got a "Retrospect has detected an encryption key problem with your AES-encrypted Media Set. Please start new Media Sets." error when the app started up the second time, which led me to http://kb.retrospect...Article/AES-Mac warning that I won't be able to read 8/9 backups. Yikes! I already have 10.0.1 which supposedly fixes this error and I was able to unlock a media set created in 8, so I'll be performing a test restore and reporting here. In any case, I'm creating new media sets as recommended for future backups.
  • After running the app for a while, it suddenly quit and upon relaunch it wouldn't connect to the Retrospect engine (though it was definitely running and executing a backup script). I had to shut everything down, uninstall and reinstall to get it to show up in the console app again ... and restart my proactive scripts. Not a good sign :( Hope this was just a fluke.

Edit: One additional note after a few days of running. If you encounter CPU/memory issues because of the RetroISA background app, you may want to disable instant scanning as detailed here and here.