Backup with Retrospect 10 failed

Hello,

I just recently got Retrospect 10. I had to backup a complete volume (A) for tests with sys 10.8.2, so I made my backup using my basic system 10.6.8 (partition B ) and stored the data of volume A in one file as media type (stored on partition C) and I got a confirmation the backup was done sucessfully.

When I restored partition A, it was not possible to start from this partition. All the data was available, but it was no possible to start this volume. Had anybody similar experiences? May I have forgot to switch on a special feature on Retrospect?

I would be happy to get further information why it was not possible to restore this volume as usual.

Kind regards

Alexander Schmidt

You mean a "file media set"? That's an old type. You should have selected "disk media set" instead.

By tampering with the backup options, it is possible you didn't backup enough (meta-)data for a bootable restore. Using all default settings should work.

Did you let the restore finish properly? Usually there is an extra stage "finishing restore" that can take a long time after all files are restored. The meaning of "finishing restore" is to set the proper permissions on all files (and folders).