History pane in v9 client always blank

Don Lee

I hope this is fixed in v10.

I have several v9 servers running, and a variety of clients, including several running Mac OS X 10.5, 10.6 and 10.8. (none at 10.7)

With the "new" client (prior to v10) there is a "history" pane in the client, and it is always blank. It doesn't matter how many backups have run, when, or what options I select on the server. The "history" pane is blank.

A few questions to help us narrow the scope:

- Are the clients with blank history pane on the same subnet as the Engine?

- Are the media sets specified for "Back up on demand to" protected by password _and_ locked?

- If the media set is unlocked, and use Console to Locate a client Source, is that client's history pane still blank?

- From that client, does Back up on demand work?

Thanks.

- Are the clients with blank history pane on the same subnet as the Engine?

Yes.

- Are the media sets specified for "Back up on demand to" protected by password _and_ locked?

Back up on demand is not enabled.

- If the media set is unlocked, and use Console to Locate a client Source, is that client's history pane still blank?

n/a

- From that client, does Back up on demand work?

n/a

Maybe I misunderstand the purpose of the history window. I presumed that it would contain a history of backups on that client. Is it limited to backup on demand, or somehow limited only to clients that do backup on demand?

Retro just made a liar of me. I opened a client on my laptop (Mac OS X 10.5.8, retro 9) and see one backup in the history window. Screenshot included.

Note that this client gets backed up at least every day, so there are about 20 backups that are "missing" in this list.

Two odd things thing about the Nov 30th backup that appears in the window.

First, it only appears when I click the lock icon at the bottom of the client pref pane and unlock the client.

Second, is that v9_daily_user_last is a set that is not used to back up any clients. The sessions in v9_daily_user_last were copied there with a media sopy script.

Clients are backed up to v9_daily_user. I do a media_set copy every month from v9_daily_user to v9_daily_user_last so I don't have to tweak the client scripts.

The backup in the window is Nov 30, 11:28 PM, and is the most recent backup on the v9_daily_user_last set.

post-24400-0-38154700-1355953724_thumb.jpg