Spontaneous loss of script parameters

Don Lee

I have roughly 25 scripts that I use to automagically do the backups, and rotate the backups at the beginning/end of each month. I use proactive, regular "backup" scripts, and dataset copy scripts.

Today, I was checking on things, and noted that 3 of the scripts were marked with a red X. One had lost its source media set, and two had lost their destination sets (and their schedules, too)

I'm quite sure that I did not make these changes. The proactive backup script that was damaged is supposed to run a backup every day. It had not un its backup since the 15th of November. This configuration has been running happily for many weeks.

I fixed it, but it is disturbing that the config can silently and spontaneously change.

It's always seemed to me a dangerous and unwieldy arrangement that Retrospect has for retaining such a huge variety of parameters and data in a single config file. It's gotten even worse beginning with Retro 8, where all the recent backup data are now stored in this file. It's terrible if (rather, when) this single file becomes corrupted and one has to recreate all source lists, scripts, rules, etc. from scratch. Please, Retrospect! Many of us have been begging for years to have this one file split into multiple files to make the (almost) inevitable corruption less disastrous.

I agree! The fragility of the config.dat file is what gives me the most headaches with RS. I'm loath to trash it and start from scratch because of all the work involved in redefining volumes and client favorite folders. It would be nice if there was some good way to backup this critical file (once one has defined all clients and backup sets etc.) and be able to restore it if something happens. I've tried this with only marginal success.

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to see an export/import capability for the configuration. If the export file were in some text-y format, then I could do "batch" changes to large configurations via text editor. That way Retro's console does not have to get fancy new features for my peculiar needs.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think so. I have two proactive scripts that periodically lose contact with their disk members. No warning or anything is given (other than uses come tell me they are getting a message about not being backed up after a week-our default).

I have to go to the console and see that there are no members associated with the media sets and repair the catalogs to set things right.