BluRay Drive for Mac

I've been using the Panasonic / Matshita BD-MLT SW-5584 for several years, and an earlier model before that.

It worked fine, with caveats (you have to enable optical drives in a setting file, and the retro background process does not play with the finder in controlling the eject mechanism, quite a pain since you have to shut down the retro init when you need the drive for something else).

I am actually browsing this forum for any insights for a recent problem, which is that the drive no longer seems to format new blank BD disks. This started intermittently after an update to retrospect to 9.0.2. I am still on Snow leopard, and would appreciate any input from the old hands or the retrospect moderator.

thanks

cbum,

I appreciate your response, but it doesn't sound altogether encouraging. No disrespect to you at all... but shouldn't that list of compatible drives be more up to date? Is it just me not seeing any BluRay drives mentioned, or are there truly no BluRay drives that are 'officially' supported? I mean, is someone dropping the ball here? I can't afford to go out and buy drives *hoping* they'll work. I need a solution. I've just joined this board, you've been on it a while longer... has this been an ongoing concern?

Anyway, thanks.

Optical drive support seems to me a low development priority in Retrospect. Neither Retrospect 8 nor Retrospect 9 support even DVD drives properly - there's the hack into the configuration file to enable their use in at all, and then the Retro Engine doesn't play nice with any other Mac applications that use the DVD.

Edit: Corrected Retrospect versions.

• 3 weeks later...

As of this reply, Retrospect 10 and 11 are not versions we have ever created. The current version is 9.

We do not have support for most BluRay devices. Most Retrospect customers now back up onto hard disks, NAS devices and tape. We have greatly seen a reduction in support requests for optical hardware compatibility, so we have been focusing engineering resources into the higher demand backup devices.

You may have seen a reduction in requests for this, but only because it seems like a lost cause-basically absent from v8 and v9. I for one would *really* like to see optical support available and have requested it (long ago) only to give up further requests when nothing seemed to be happening along these lines. I held out high hopes that perhaps the acquisition by Roxio would fix that, with their extensive expertise with optical devices, but that off course went no where.

As of this reply, Retrospect 10 and 11 are not versions we have ever created. The current version is 9.

We do not have support for most BluRay devices. Most Retrospect customers now back up onto hard disks, NAS devices and tape. We have greatly seen a reduction in support requests for optical hardware compatibility, so we have been focusing engineering resources into the higher demand backup devices.

Quite right, I meant versions 8 and 9. Corrected in the post.

Is the small-font text a quote, and if so, from where?

• 4 years later...