Cannot Perform Backups or Restore (error - 1116) on Iomega Storcenter Ix2

meld51

Hello,

I have a backup set on an Iomega IX2 which I created a while ago.

Today I am unable to backup to it or restore from it.

I can however access the backup set directly through Windows Explorer

The backup set is in a private area protected by a password

I have Retrospect 7.7, Windows 7

Can anyone help?

I feel for you. I know this doesn't help, but I suffered for years trying to get my Iomega Ix2 to work with Retrospect. It would work fine for a few months, and then suddenly stop backing up. It seemed like any little network glitch, a power failure, or some mysterious unknown event would cause Retrospect to stop backing up to it or recognizing it. Often I would develop permissions problems that I could not fathom. Then, mysteriously, it would start working again. Finally the device died and I decided never to get another NAS storage device for Retrospect -- the program is just too fragile when it comes to unexpected real-life events. This was probably compounded by the StorCenter being flakey as well, where there would be months when I could not get the StorCenter manager to work either. All those times, the StorCenter itself seemed fine -- as a network storage device i could access it normally on all my computers. (I still think it was a great, cost-effective file server, but the management software that came with it was junk.)

Sometimes I could get around a problem like yours by rebooting both my computer and the StorCenter, and then in Retrospect removing the backup set and then adding it again. Sometimes I just had to create my backup set from scratch, or start a new set on the same device and manually delete the old one.

• 2 years later...

I'm now on Retrospect 9.5 and also, now I'm using a Seagate NAS drive.

I've been using a USB drive for the last few years but I thought I'd give backups to a NAS another go.

I still can't get Retrospect to find the drive for a backup. Why not?

When I set up the network drive I did an initial backup but now Retrospect can't find it again. As always I can see it via explorer.

Is this an ongoing bug that's remained addressed for years and years?

Can anyone help? It's very disappointing!