"Cannot connect to Retrospect" open launch

chillyche

So, a couple of days ago, I started getting the following error "Cannot connect to Retrospect"

I am running Retrospect Professional (Win7) on only this one computer right now. It worked fine until a few days ago.

Something I did a few days ago (may or may not be when the trouble started) was to set up this computer so that I could login remotely. I'm not sure if any of those changes would break retrospect.

Any ideas anybody? I really just want to backup my files, I don't even really understand why it needs to "connect" to anything. It's all local!

-Che

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure by your post if your system is acting as the server, or if you have a server and are trying to backup the client? Is this on a domain/enteriprise environment where a firewall rule may be blocking the connection? Regardless, I'd try this first... this is the only way to do a a real "clean" uninstall / reinstall which will also prompt to allow the software through the local Windows Firewall port. Keep in mind that if you use another firewall application, you may need to specifcially allow the Retrospect application through. In that case, allow TCP and UDP port 497 in both directions to the computer system - which is what Retrospect uses to allow the server and clients to communicate on a LAN.

To cleanly uninstall and reinstall the retrospect client, this requires removing the application from control panel / add/remove programs and then checking for any left over "retrospect data" in these locations and deleting them:

C:\ProgramData\Retrospect Client

C:\Program Files (x86)\Retrospect

C:\Program Files\Retrospect

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Retrospect Client

Once everything has been cleaned, REBOOT, then reinstall the lastest client version again.

One other thing to note. Retrospect does not automatially remove the "old" client that you just remvoed from the computer. You have to manually remove it from Configure / Clients in the left side panel options. If you don't and you accidentally point your backup script and/or backup set to the old client instead of the new one (once you've rejoined it to the server), you'll still get the error -530 backup client not found, because of course, it won't actually exist as it was removed.