Supersized Config80.dat

Retrospect 9.02 (107)

/Library/Application Support/Retrospect/

I noticed my Config80.dat is a whopping 157 MB

My Config80.bak is 930 kB

They are both 'last modified' today.

If I quit and replace the .dat with the .bak and launch Retrospect it seems that my settings and scripts and stuff are correct, but I am unsure what to look for.

Should I replace it? What will I lose?

Config80.dat also holds information about past backups and activities. That may be what disappears.

You have nothing to lose as long as you don't trash your original Config80.dat (say, by dragging it to the desktop).

I notice you used the word "quit." Do you mean that you quit the Retrospect console or that you stopped the Retrospect engine (or both)? If you didn't stop the engine, it will still be using the relocated Config80.dat.

Whatever you do find out, please report back on your results.

Config80.dat also holds information about past backups and activities. That may be what disappears.

You have nothing to lose as long as you don't trash your original Config80.dat (say, by dragging it to the desktop).

I notice you used the word "quit." Do you mean that you quit the Retrospect console or that you stopped the Retrospect engine (or both)? If you didn't stop the engine, it will still be using the relocated Config80.dat.

Whatever you do find out, please report back on your results.

Sorry, my bad: I did not quit - I actually rebooted.

'Past Backups' seems to have survived fine.

157 MB seems quite a lot compaired to the tiny .bak file. Is it supposed to grow this big - and should not the .bak reflect this?

I am a bit confused, and I do get a lot of errors with Retrospect 9; UI is terribly slow, and changes I make are not always reflected in the UI. Sometimes I work with one Script, and Retrospect will by itself silently select another script. Listing identical Summary for several different scripts. And many, many other inconsistencies. (I still miss many of the features and stability of Retrospect 6. 9 is not as bad as 8 though)

I thought this oversized Config80.dat file may have contributed.

Sorry, my bad: I did not quit - I actually rebooted.

...which suggests that you moved or trashed Config80.dat while the engine was running. After the reboot, did Retrospect create a new Config80.dat at /Library/Application\ Support/Retrospect?

'Past Backups' seems to have survived fine.

I noticed that my Config80.bak too was smaller than Config80.dat, so I performed an experiment. I stopped the engine, quit the console, and dragged Config80.dat to the desktop; I then restarted the engine and Retrospect created a new Config80.dat from Config80.bak. The first thing I noticed was that although Past Backups seemed to have the same listings, the lists for Recent Activities, Past Activities, and Errors & Warnings were all empty.

157 MB seems quite a lot compaired to the tiny .bak file. Is it supposed to grow this big - and should not the .bak reflect this?

That's both a larger .dat file and a much bigger discrepancy than what we have ever seen. I have no idea if the failure of the .bak file to exactly track the .dat file represents a choice the company has made as to what data to retain, or is an operational bug.

I am a bit confused, and I do get a lot of errors with Retrospect 9; UI is terribly slow, and changes I make are not always reflected in the UI.

The relatively poor integration of the console and engine has been overall my greatest annoyance. The frequent failure of the console to populate with recent data (or even any data) on media set members, tags, and recent backups is definitely an irritation.

Sometimes I work with one Script, and Retrospect will by itself silently select another script. Listing identical Summary for several different scripts.

I haven't seen this, though under Retro 8 I frequently experienced our rules spontaneously changing during the process of saving them. This issue hasn't reappeared for us under Retro 9.

I thought this oversized Config80.dat file may have contributed.

There may be something corrupt with your Config80.dat, though I'd guess that the same corruption would be present in Config80.bak. The only sure test would be to start up with a new default configuration and see if the problems go away.

...which suggests that you moved or trashed Config80.dat while the engine was running. After the reboot, did Retrospect create a new Config80.dat at /Library/Application\ Support/Retrospect?

I moved the big .dat to the desktop. I renamed the .bak in Application Support to .dat and rebooted. (I do not manually stop the engine before a reboot. Should I?) I expected a new .bak to be made, but it was not. So I duplicated the .dat and called it .bak.

It seems that the "manually" created .bak file works (it is at least modified)

One week later the .dat has grown to 13.5 MB and the .bak is 950k

I do not know what data I have deleted (the remaining 154MB)

I cannot find that trashing the .bak file has had neither any positive nor negative effect.

• 2 weeks later...