'-1028 (client is not visible on network)' but it is visible

2 Mac G5's running Panther 10.3.3. Using Retrospect Desktop 6.0.193. I do use Classic on a daily basis and it's usually still running when I leave. I don't know if that could have something to do with it or not. Here's the problem. I'm getting this error quite frequently - 'Can't access backup client "client name here", error -1028 (client is not visible on network)'. The network conection is active. I can log onto one G5 from the other with no problems. When I go to Configure - Clients - Network, under Select a backup client, after searching for a few seconds, it says 'No backup clients found'. But if I click the Test...button and enter the IP address of the backup client, it says it found a backup client and gives the IP address, name and version of the client. I can then go back to Configure - Clients - Network, and again under Select a backup client, it says 'No backup clients found'.

Anyone have any suggestions. This is a major problem.

ES

Same problem here. I had the problem, it went away for a while, and now it's back. When I go to do a manual backup, it will search for the local volumes, then when it goes to search for the client volumes, I get the error -1028. If I go to Configure->Clients->Network, it says that the client isn't there. However, if I go to Configure->Clients->Network->Test and enter the IP address of the client, it says that the client is there. Retrospect Desktop will not let you add a client by IP address, however, so I can't force it to find the client by entering the address manually.

I thought that firewall software could be interfering, but turning off the firewall on both ends did not solve the problem.

OS X can see the client just fine, both by pinging the IP address and by accessing shared files.

Re-booting both machines did not solve the problem.

When I first had this problem, the problem happened after I changed the manually assigned IP addresses. This time, I haven't changed a thing, so I don't know what prompted the problem.

When I first reported the problem (http://forums.dantz.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=Retro6&Number=38837&fpart=&PHPSESSID=), some suggested forgetting the client in the list at Configure->Client, but this didn't do any good...you can't add the client back in because Retrospect can't see the client.

Does anyone from Dantz have any idea what's going on here?

I think that I've solved the problem. When I turned off Internet sharing (System Preferences->Sharing->Internet) on the machine hosting the Retrospect server, everything started working.

I think the problem was that both machines had Internet sharing turned on. When I used to use DHCP, one machine received the address 192.168.2.1 and the other received the address 192.168.2.2. For the past few weeks, I've used the manually assigned addresses of 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2. Apparently, if Internet sharing is on, OS X will assign a second address of 192.168.2.1 in addition to the manual address. When I did ifconfig -a from the command line, both machines reported an IP address of 192.168.2.1 in addition to the manual addresses. Unlike with DHCP, it didn't check for conflicts.

I think that this explains why Retrospect couldn't find the client in actual operation, but could find it for testing purposes. When I ran the test, I could tell it to look for a machine at 192.168.0.1 and it found it just fine. When I went into an actual operation, since I couldn't tell it to look for a specific IP address (not permitted with Retrospect Desktop), Retrospect tried to determine the address on its own. It only paid attention to the first address that it found for the client, which was apparently the machine-assigned 192.168.2.1, not the manually assigned 192.168.0.1. Because the server also had the address 192.168.2.1, Retrospect thought that the client was the same machine as the server and reported that it couldn't find the client.

Thanks for the info. but I'm still having the problem. I checked to see if I had internet sharing turned on but it wasn't. I did the ifconfig -a from Terminal and it showed one different IP address for each machine, both manually assigned. I'll keep checking this thread and experimenting to see if I can figure it out.

Eric

Quote:

Here's the problem. I'm getting this error quite frequently.

- You mean you don't get this message each and every time?

>When I go to Configure - Clients - Network, under Select a backup client, after searching

>for a few seconds, it says 'No backup clients found'.

- Has it behaved this way each and every time?

- Have you ever been able to log this client into Retrospect?

Retrospect uses UDP packets to discover clients (so that they show up in the window) and TCP packets for actual communications, including the test button.

- Could there be something filtering UDP packets on your network?

- What does the physical network between these two machines look like?

- Can you connect the two machines directly with a single appropriate cable (with the appropriate network settings) to test?

- Is ethernet the only active network interface on each machine (your posted results from the ifconfig session seems to imply this, but it helps to be sure)

Dave

I have a similar problem with my Airport-connected PowerBook, except in my case the client turns itself off every once in a while. All I have to do to fix it is start up the client app and turn it on. It's still an unacceptable situation because I don't want a bunch of scheduled backups to be skipped without me even knowing the client is off.

I may setting a fixed IP to see if it may be caused by the DHCP IP address negotiation.

Quote:

have a similar problem with my Airport-connected PowerBook, except in my case the client turns itself off every once in a while.

This doesn't sound at all similar, as the original thread involved client software running but unable to be logged into the application.

- In your case, does your client stay on across system restarts?

- Did you move the Retrospect Client application from its default install location?

Dave

Quote:

Did you move the Retrospect Client application from its default install location?

As a matter of fact, I did.

Today I discovered that when I thought I was creating an alias to the client application in another folder several days ago, I inadvertently moved it instead. I wouldn't have realized it today if I hadn't decided to put the client app in the Dock and delete what I thought was the alias; the client wouldn't run when I tried to launch it because the original was in the trash. Did you follow all that? :-)

So far, I haven't had a repeat of the problem since I put the client back where it belongs (in the Applications folder).

Incident (edited by Nate). Have two Powerbook G4s. 15inch Aluminum 1.25GH, Panther 10.3.3 (Server) and 12inch Aluminum 1.33GH (Client) connecting directly by Ethernet. I am using Retrospect 6.0.193. Ports 497 are open on both. 90% of the time I get a "client not visible on network" message, occasionaly the client being seen. I changed the speed on the client using "Cocktail" to 10mb/sec but it made no difference.

As suggested I installed the Retropect application on the 12 inch and a client on the 15 inch. The client is instantly and repeately available to me when the 12 inch is the server?! I went back and tried it the other way around, but to no avail.

Any additional suggestions.

Harold Copans

Hi

When the client is not showing up try running a port scan of the client machine using the OSX network utility. Does it show that port 497 is open?

Can you try booting the client machine from a firewire disk or another partition and seeing if the problem continues? This will help narrow down if the problem is caused by hardware or software.

Thanks

Nate

Hi,

The 497 ports on both machines are open. I dont have a firewire drive to start up from. However, last night neither computer would recognize the client on the other machine. Once again I have two powerbooks, 15 inch 1.25GZ and 12 inch 1.33 connnecting to each other through an Asante ethernet switch or directly using an ethernet cable. Each has Retrospect installed and each has a Client which is on and ready.

Thanks

Harold Copans

Quote:

I changed the speed on the client using "Cocktail" to 10mb/sec but it made no difference.

- What _else_ have you done to/on these machines using utilities such as Cocktail?

- What other third party haxies or utilities are running on these machine?

- You say port 497 is open; are other ports being managed by firewall software?

Dave

Hi Dave,

I only used Cocktail at the suggestion of Dantz Tech support and I restored the settings back to normal when it made no difference. . I dont use any third party haxies or utilities. I do not have any third party firewall software on either machine other than that provide by OS 10.3.3 and I have not done anything with that.

Harold

No I do not get this error every time. Sometimes it does see the client. Not sure of the percentages but it's close to 50/50. Usually if I restart the client machine, it will then be recognized under Configure - Clients - Network. I can only think of one time where it didn't recognize the client after a restart and that was yesterday. I restarted twice and it still would not recognize it. But when I came in this morning and fired up the Macs, the client was recognized.

As far as I know there is nothing filtering UDP packets.

The physical network looks like this: Everything is hooked into an Asante Gigabit 8 port switch. The attached devices are 2 G5 Macs (1.8 DP), one PC running Windows 2000 Server, AGFA Star 400 RIP (hooked to an Accuset 1000 imagesetter), HP2300n laser printer, HP 10PS color proof printer. That's a total of 6 devices. The PC has 2 network cards. The main company network comes in to one and the other goes out to the switch. The PC is used as a router for the Macs to have access to the company DSL.

If I need a crossover cable to connect the 2 G5's directly, then I can't do that because I don't have a crossover cable.

Yes, ethernet is the only active network interface on each machine.

Eric

Redhawk44 wrote:

Quote:

The physical network looks like this: Everything is hooked into an Asante Gigabit 8 port switch

Looks very clean. But for testing, using a single cable without the switch isn't a bad idea.

On modern macs such as the G5, any ethernet cable will work; the network interface will auto-sense the correct pin-out.

If the machines don't have static addresses you'll need to give them each a fake address on the subnet; no need for a router address for this sort of testing.

Check to see that you can ping each from the other before progressing with Retrospect testing.

>Usually if I restart the client machine, it will then be recognized under

>Configure - Clients - Network.

Before you restart the problem machine, what does the Retrospect Client application show in its Status window? There are multiple posters in this thread now, but I have not seen you confirm that information in your reports.

Dave

Hi Dave,

The Firewall settings were off on both computers.

This evening I was initially able to repeatedly recognize each machines client using wireless access from both computers into my network. I then switched to ethernet, initially going directly via a standard cable (twisted pair not required) with the location on each machine changed to ethernet. Neither client was then visible. I then tried ethernet though my network, once again to no avail.

I then switched back on each machine to wireless and neither would now recognize the other client. The settings were the same as they had been when I had my initial success. I tried a variety of maneuvers, quitting and re-starting both Retrospect and the clients, but this did not help.

I cannot understand why I was initially able to recognize the clients, and later, without any change in the initial settings, I was not.

Harold

Quote:

Before you restart the problem machine, what does the Retrospect Client application show in its Status window? There are multiple posters in this thread now, but I have not seen you confirm that information in your reports.

Dave

I just booted both machines. I went to Configure - Clients - Network and the client is not recognized. I checked the client machine and the Status window says Ready.

Eric

Quote:

This evening I was initially able to repeatedly recognize each machines client using wireless access from both computers into my network. I then switched to ethernet, initially going directly via a standard cable (twisted pair not required) with the location on each machine changed to ethernet. Neither client was then visible. I then tried ethernet though my network, once again to no avail.

I then switched back on each machine to wireless and neither would now recognize the other client. The settings were the same as they had been when I had my initial success. I tried a variety of maneuvers, quitting and re-starting both Retrospect and the clients, but this did not help.

First, ethernet cables are always made of twisted pairs of copper wires. A cross-over cable has slightly different pin-outs on each end, as contrasted with a stright-through cable. Modern macs can use either one to connect directly.

With that out of the way, I'm concerned that your use of locations is preventing a clear understanding of what your settings are.

Can you describe _exactly_ how your Network prefence panes are configured for any connections you've tried?

- What are your active network ports?

- What is the order of your active network ports?

Hi Dave,

For my airport connections on both computers my active network port is "Airport". It is the only one that is

active on each computer for that configuration, and is at the bottom of the list.

For my ethernet connections on both, my active network port is "Built-in-Ethernet". It is the only one that is active and I had moved it to the top of the list on both machines.

Thanks

Harold

CROSS-POSTED from OTHER FORUM.

I have a number of laptops that I'm using the Backup Server functionality to index. However, I get errors -- duplicate activator codes, and missing clients -- when the laptops are connected to the network.

I believe it is a problem with the way they connect to the network. They switch from wired to wireless, and have a different IP each time. So if the client gets connected via ethernet, it remembers that, and can't switch to wireless without me needing to reassign the computer to a client container.

Any thoughts?

added: I have one location set up, with ethernet having preference over wireless.

I have that problem as well. My 'server' (Retrospect Workgroup v6) backs-up 2 Macs (one Powerbook and one iMac) and 3 PCs (2 ThinkPads and a 'PC' desktop) ALL VIA AirPort using 802.11b from various vendors.

There are FIVE computers total in this setup. The 'server' (an iMac) backs up itself via AirPort via 802.11b. All wireless connections are via the SAME AirPort Base Station. IP Address is distributed from an Router using DHCP. The Airport Base Station is nothing but a 'bridge' to the Router.

Now: Retrospect has problems seeing other clients (including itself) .. but not all the time. It sees the PC desktop better than most. But, all other laptops (NOT ON ENERGY SAVING SLEEP OPTIONS OR SUCH) are 'not visible.'

But, when backup starts, Retrospect is able to 'connect' with them. However, soon after scanning, the network connection would die. This does not seem to be a problem when Retrospect backs up itself via a 'loopback' from Airport out to Airport Base Station back to iself with Retrospect Client running.

Help?

Archived