Assertion check elem.c-821

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had the same assertion violation and originally posted on another thread <http://forums.dantz.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=Retro6&Number=36355&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=all>.

In my case, clients are all macs. Error is intermittent in the sense that I haven't figured out how to force it to occur. It seems to occur while accessing a large catalog after writing to a DDS4 tape. Retries are usually, but not always, successful and the catalog seems to be ok. The violation has occured while using different scripts and backup sets.

10.3.3,G4/500,1.2 GB RAM,Retrospect 6.0.178

Hi,

I have had similar experience. I am running Retro6.0 on OSX 10.2.8 (1GHzG4MDD/768MB), AIT-2 drive (LaCie/SONY) over FireWire. Clients are about 30 Mac/Win, all OS flavors, but all Retro clients are updated.

I have had several 821 errors on a particular tape set. However, the same client doesn't always cause them. So far I have only seen this on Mac clients. Excerpt of my log below (I have the file system logging enabled). When I looked back at the last 2 "821" errors, they both were preceeded by FscGetFSRef: FSMakeFSRefUnicode errors. I don't see many of these in my log otherwise.

I will rotate sets tomorrow and let you know if these 821's continue there too.

/eric

+ 3/23/2004 12:11 PM: Backup Server started

+ Normal backup using normal at 3/23/2004 12:26 PM

To backup set Backup Set E‚¶

- 3/23/2004 12:26:06 PM: Copying OS on armadillo (eric r) ‚¶

3/23/2004 12:26:06 PM: Connected to armadillo (eric r)

FscGetFSRef: FSMakeFSRefUnicode failed for file

Retrospect.error.log.bc8605d9, error -43

Internal consistency check failed:

Assertion check at "elem.c-821"

3/23/2004 12:34:36 PM: Execution incomplete.

Completed: 21 files, 24.5 MB

Performance: 36.6 MB/minute

Duration: 00:08:30 (00:07:50 idle/loading/preparing)

- 3/23/2004 3:18 PM: Backup Server stopped, general error

Quit at 3/23/2004 3:20 PM

Hello again...

Now the next BU set has had a go for a while. Today I found the server faithfully waiting for me to click "quit" after another 821. Different set, different client caused the hiccup. The log looks the same. Quitting and restarting Retrospect seems to have it running again, but I guess that I will find an error soon again.

I will try duplicating the script to see if that helps.

/eric

3/26/2004 4:11:20 PM: Copying Macintosh HD on Charles iBook‚¶

3/26/2004 4:11:20 PM: Connected to Charles iBook

Retrospect.error.log.bc8f45b5, error -43

Internal consistency check failed:

Assertion check at "elem.c-821"

3/26/2004 4:11:20 PM: Execution incomplete.

- 3/30/2004 3:41 PM: Backup Server stopped, general error

Quit at 3/30/2004 3:44 PM

FscGetFSRef: FSMakeFSRefUnicode failed for file Retro.Icons

(6.0), error -43

I've been having the same error message. I've had it show up during two different tasks. The first is when I try to do a Restore from a particular backup set made from 4.x. All other backup sets work fine whether from 4.x or 5.x. The second task is during an automated backup script. I did not seem to have this problem during backup until I upgraded to 6.0.193. I'm running from an older G4 (350Mhz) with OSX 10.3.3 (latest update) and backing up using an EZQuest Boa DVD-RW drive. Any help or insight would be much appreciated.

Did you try duplicating the script (or perhaps all of your scripts) as described earlier on in this thread?

That seemed to do the trick for me. I have been running for 2 weeks without that particular error at least.

Let us know what happens

/eric

I've tried making a new version of the script and that hasn't made a difference as of yet. It does seem to be confined to when backing up our WinXP machine. I'm going to try and re-install the client software and see if that has any effect. As far as getting the error when trying to retrieve from the problem backup set...I've tried making copies of it and also tried rebuilding the storage set using Retro 6. During the rebuild, when I reach disk 100 out of 149 Retro seems to get hung up on that CD. I don't receive any errors, just doesn't seem to read any more data from the CD. Even if left running overnight. I've run out of ideas thus far...

Jon

I too have this problem. I have not been able to backup even once since installing Retrospect 6.

I get the error after it has scanned a drive I want to backup. The catalog is new and I have thrown away both the catalog and the script and replaced them. The LTO tape is erased. All things seem to be in order until I try to back up. I have tried backing up several computers and just one computer. All the attempts end in this error.

This is particularly distressing considering the trouble I had in 5 and the promise that this upgrade would take care of all of those problems. All machines are Macs running OSX 10.2.8.

I have also tried throwing away the config file in an attempt to get the script to run. Still no luck.

Bumping this thread with an OT response...

An "assertion" is something that a programmer puts in the code to check that the program is behaving as expected. Violation of an assertion means that something has gone wrong. It's a kind of a bug warning feature. It's a programmer self-defense feature and not much use to an end-user.

ricb and jojoportly

What SCSI cards are you using? Do you get the same error if you run a test backup to a file backup set stored on the hard disk? Does the error occur during the acutal scan? Does it happen when matching against the catalog? or is the moment when Retrospect tries to write to tape?

Thanks

Nate

• update • I have finally been able to back up my WinXP client for almost a week now. I downloaded the latest Client update and installed it on the XP machine and then I removed the client in Retrospect and then reconfigured the client and my backup script. So far so good.

natew...

I have two scsi cards an adaptec 29160 connected to a Sony DDS4 mechanism and an ATTO UL3S connected an HP DDS4 tape. I'm using two cards because there is some sort of scsi bug under panther. When more than 1 device is on the chain, only the first device is recognized properly although all devices show up in the profiler.

Anyway, the assertion violation shows up with both cards. I think that the violation occurs while accessing the catalog and just as the tape is about to be written but I cannot be sure. The catalog appears to be ok and the tape appears to be ok. It may have something to do with the number of files in the catalog. The error is frustratingly intermittent. When it occurs, just repeating the backup usually results in another error. If I touch some files, altering the number to be backedup, then the fault may be avoided. Is there some sort of hashing going on?

Sorry that I cannot be more precise in describing the symptoms but I hope this is some help.

Hi

One thing to consider at least:

Retrospect polls both devices when it runs a backup even though it only use one of them. It may be polling the one on the Adaptec card and causing an error. Do you get this error when only the Atto card is installed? Have you tried the new Atto drivers that came out this week?

Thanks

Nate

natew...

Installed new ATTO driver... no change.

Fault occurs after the "scanning" window completes while the "matching" dialog window is showing.

It seems like the bigger the catalog, the more likely the fault is to occur.

Hope this helps.

...rick

Hi

This has probably been mentioned in this thread already but try new Retrospect preference files. If you have catalog compression turned on try turning it off and seeing if that helps.

How much RAM is in your machine?

Thanks

Nate

Archived