Scripted backup complains about locked files

I recently installed Retrospect 6 on my Powerbook G3, and created a new backup set with this application. After a couple of backups, the log started to report the following type of error message

Can't add to backup set Daily Backup: The catalog is locked.

But then the backup seems to proceed normally (i.e., files are being backed up). Is this error message something to be concerned about?

I got a similar error when recovering a recently-deleted file. After the restore, as I was quitting, I got this message

Can't save catalog, error -45 (file locked).

I tried to verify the catalog, but kept getting the same error. Quitting, logging out, and then verifying was ok. Again, is this something to be concerned about?

Quote:

CallMeDave said:

There have been some reports of this behavior, but no poster has so far been willing (or able) to provide enough information to understand it fully.

You can try, by posting complete information, system, software, hardware, exact steps you're taking before and after you get the error, etc.

Dave

*** Exact steps:

The lock error has now occurred three times. In all cases:

(1) Retrospect 6 launched automatically at 4pm, based on a script I created with Retrospect 6 Easyscript

(2) I was logged into the account mhl, which was being backed up

(3) After the lock error, Retrospect 6 started to scan for differences, and apparently backed up the files changed since the last backup (Monday-Friday)

Here is what the log file says:

===

? Retrospect version 6.0.178

automatically launched at 3/1/2004 4:51 PM

automatically launched at 1/3/2004 16:52

+ Normal backup using EasyScript Backup at 1/3/2004 16:52

To backup set Daily Backup…

- 1/3/2004 16:52:22: Copying mhl on System X…

+ Normal backup using EasyScript Backup at 3/1/2004 4:52 PM

3/1/2004 4:52:26 PM: Execution incomplete.

Quit at 3/1/2004 4:52 PM

Can't read file “292722AE76EFE97847D95E2690C7B5”, error -43 (file/folder not found), path: “mhl/Documents/AppleWorks User Data/AutoSave/292722AE76EFE97847D95E2690C7B5”.

1/3/2004 17:01:20: Comparing mhl on System X…

1/3/2004 17:01:56: 1 execution errors.

Completed: 1151 files, 34.1 MB, with 0% compression

Performance: 36.4 MB/minute (26.8 copy, 56.7 compare)

Duration: 00:09:34 (00:07:42 idle/loading/preparing)

Quit at 1/3/2004 17:02

===

The date reversal is somewhat odd (1/3/2004 and 3/1/2004).

In regards to the locked file, this is the result of my ls -lo:

-rw-rw---- 1 mhl admin - 521120768 27 Feb 20:38 Daily Backup

-rw-rw---- 1 mhl admin - 18385788 27 Feb 20:39 Daily Backup.cat

User mhl does not belong to the admin group, though. Belongs to staff. Retrospect nonetheless added group admin

*** Hardware/Software

Mac OS X 10.3.2

400 MHz PowerPC G3

256 MB RAM

About 7G of spare RAM left on the target partition

Retrospect 6.0.178

I am backing up all files in /Users/mhl, except for those in Pictures. The files are then stored in a file in /Users/Shared on the same partition

Hope this gives you a starting point

The log entries below are copied and pasted directly?

That is the strangest thing I've ever seen; Retrospect launching twice in a row without quitting, quitting and then logging errors without launching agian, transposing the date, etc.

Can you do Immediate backups to "Daily Backup"?

Dave

Quote:

+ Normal backup using EasyScript Backup at 1/3/2004 16:52

To backup set Daily Backup…

- 1/3/2004 16:52:22: Copying mhl on System X…

+ Normal backup using EasyScript Backup at 3/1/2004 4:52 PM

3/1/2004 4:52:26 PM: Execution incomplete.

Quit at 3/1/2004 4:52 PM

Can't read file “292722AE76EFE97847D95E2690C7B5”, error -43 (file/folder not found),

path: “mhl/Documents/AppleWorks User Data/AutoSave/292722AE76EFE97847D95E2690C7B5”.

1/3/2004 17:01:20: Comparing mhl on System X…

1/3/2004 17:01:56: 1 execution errors.

Completed: 1151 files, 34.1 MB, with 0% compression

Performance: 36.4 MB/minute (26.8 copy, 56.7 compare)

Duration: 00:09:34 (00:07:42 idle/loading/preparing)

Quit at 1/3/2004 17:02

Was this log entry edited at all? The "Quit" followed by the "Can't read file" error seems very inconsistent with how Retrospect logs executions.

If any editing was done please post entire entry for that execution. And I agree that the date/time stamp issue is odd.

Thanks!

Can't read file “292722AE76EFE97847D95E2690C7B5”, error -43 (file/folder not found),

path: “mhl/Documents/AppleWorks User Data/AutoSave/292722AE76EFE97847D95E2690C7B5”.

Just to note that this error is entirely normal; the file is a cache file created by AppleWorks that probably disappeared during the Retrospect execution. No biggie.

Dave

Quote:

CallMeDave said:

The log entries below are copied and pasted directly?

That is the strangest thing I've ever seen; Retrospect launching twice in a row without quitting, quitting and then logging errors without launching agian, transposing the date, etc.

Can you do Immediate backups to "Daily Backup"?

Dave

The log file is the result of a copy and paste operation. If it is of any help, I can e-mail you a screenshot or e-mail you the log file directly.

I can do immediate backups of "Daily Backup" (using the "Backup" button), as well as run the "Daily Backup" script immediately (using the "Run" button) without problems.

Quote:

AmyJ said:

Was this log entry edited at all? The "Quit" followed by the "Can't read file" error seems very inconsistent with how Retrospect logs executions.

If any editing was done please post entire entry for that execution. And I agree that the date/time stamp issue is odd.

Thanks!

I just verified the log entry. The "Quit" is indeed immediately followed by a "Can't read file" error.

If it is of any help, I can e-mail you a screenshot or e-mail you the log file directly.

I have conducted a couple more tests.

(1) I changed the launch date of my "Daily Backup" script to a date in the past, to cause an immediate backup. After saving the changes, the script indeed backed up my files as expected. Note that I did not quit Retrospect between the script time change and the launch of "Daily Backup"

(2) Changed the launch date of the script again, but this time I quit, to see if the problem was associated with autolaunch. However, the "Daily Backup" script did launch (about 7 or so seconds late, but I don't think that is a problem), backed up the few files that had changed in the meantime, and quit again.

(3) Repeated (2) again; worked again

After every test, I did a ls -lo, but there was no change to the result I posted earlier.

The date reversal (1/3 -> 3/1) did also not take place.

Sorry for yet another post; I am in debug mode, and it is very, very hard for me to quit when I am in this mode.

Here is another (earlier) instance of a catalog lock error that may help a bit more. Looks like two instances or threads of Retrospect start up at the same time, one acquires a lock (the one using the European date and 24h clock), and another one (the one using the US date and AM/PM clock) fails to acquire a lock. Hence one quits, and the other does the backup as expected.

===

automatically launched at 2/23/2004 1:15 PM

automatically launched at 23/2/2004 13:15

+ Normal backup using EasyScript Backup at 23/2/2004 13:16

To backup set Daily…

- 23/2/2004 13:16:11: Copying mhl on System X…

+ Normal backup using EasyScript Backup at 2/23/2004 1:16 PM

Can't add to backup set Daily: The catalog is locked.

2/23/2004 1:16:15 PM: Execution incomplete.

Quit at 2/23/2004 1:16 PM

23/2/2004 13:20:21: Comparing mhl on System X…

23/2/2004 13:20:53: Execution completed successfully.

Completed: 1221 files, 25.1 MB, with 0% compression

Performance: 32.3 MB/minute (24.6 copy, 46.9 compare)

Duration: 00:04:42 (00:03:09 idle/loading/preparing)

Quit at 23/2/2004 13:20

===

Quote:

Have you ever done an Archive install with the OS on this machine?

No, I actually did a super clean install

(0) backed up my documents

(1) erased the existing OS X partition

(2) installed Panther from CD

(3) installed extra applications (e.g., Retrospect)

I did not copy over any preferences at all; only my documents

• 1 month later...

I think I can get this lock error to occur consistently now.

(1) Start a lot of disk activity _just_ before Retrospect autolaunches (e.g., boot up the computer and log in just after the autolaunch deadline)

(2) When Retrospect starts, keep opening apps

(3) When the second red cube appears in the dock, it stays stuck for a while, due to all the disk activity; if it stays stuck there long enough, I get a catalog lock error

I hope somebody is still reading this...

The second red cube?? It does sound like you have two different versions of Retrospect auto-launching, which is not a normal situation. (e.g. I have three copies of Retrospect installed, but only one auto-launches.)

If you can actually see two copies of Retrospect in the dock at once, control-click on them and use Show Finder to see where on your disk they are.

Two further pieces of information from your puzzle:

1) Did you install Retrospect in two different languages? Or run an updater for one language over the install of a different language?

2) The tricky part is how you got two to launch. I wonder if you have more than one copy of the background launcher. Try pasting this into Terminal and posting the results.

ps -auxwww | grep Retro

Quote:

It's possible that " When the second red cube appears in the dock" actually means "when the red cube appears the second time. "

Retrospect's authentication method has a dock icon appear, then disappear, then appear again.

We'll need clarification...

Dave

Normally, the red cube appears in the dock, then disappears for authentication, and then reappears.

But sometimes, the red cube appears and then a second red cube appears.

I have only one version of Retrospect installed (directly from CD; no patches)

Quote:

Two further pieces of information from your puzzle:

1) Did you install Retrospect in two different languages? Or run an updater for one language over the install of a different language?

No, I have only one version of Retrospect installed. The two red cubes appear side by side in the dock only

when I boot my Powerbook after or at the time that Retrospect is supposed to autolaunch. It seems as if

all the disk activity confuses Retrospect.

I used "Find in Findere" - the two cubes are linked to the same file

Quote:

2) The tricky part is how you got two to launch. I wonder if you have more than one copy of the background launcher. Try pasting this into Terminal and posting the results.

ps -auxwww | grep Retro

This is what I get (when I manage to open the Terminal window fast enough):

root 393 33.1 3.4 98804 8892 ?? U 6:03PM 0:08.38 /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Support/LaunchCFMApp /Applications/Retrospect 6.0/Retrospect/Contents/MacOS/Retrospect

root 377 13.3 4.1 71244 10668 ?? S 6:03PM 0:07.09 /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Support/LaunchCFMApp /Applications/Retrospect 6.0/Retrospect/Contents/MacOS/Retrospect

mhl 434 0.0 0.0 18644 100 std R+ 6:04PM 0:00.00 grep Retro

• 3 weeks later...

I believe I have found a workaround, which I am posting for the benefit of anybody else who is experiencing the same difficulties.

In my case, the lock error only occurs when Retrospect autolaunches at startup time.

So if I start up the machine, and I know that Retrospect will autolaunch in the next minute (either because it missed an earlier backup deadline, or because the backup deadline is just about to occur), I don't log in until Retrospect is launched. That way, I seem to be able to avoid the lock error.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone found a real fix or another workaround for this? I just realized today what was happening, but for me it happens when the machine autostarts and automatically logs in, which is the normal situation for the backup. So, MHL's workaround doesn't work for me. Here's a clip from my log file:

Retrospect version 6.0.193

automatically launched at 5/20/2004 9:35 PM

Retrospect version 6.0.193

automatically launched at 5/20/2004 9:35 PM

+ Retrospect Driver Update, version 5.3.102

+ Retrospect Driver Update, version 5.3.102

+ Normal backup using All computers at 5/20/2004 9:35 PM

To backup set Backup Set B

5/20/2004 9:35:48 PM: Connected to DELL

- 5/20/2004 9:35:37 PM: Copying DRIVE C (C:) on DELL

+ Normal backup using All computers at 5/20/2004 9:35 PM

Can't add to backup set Backup Set B: The catalog is locked.

5/20/2004 9:35:55 PM: Execution incomplete.

Shutdown at 5/20/2004 9:36 PM

Dantz, have you duplicated this in house yet?

• 2 months later...

I purchased Retrospect 6 when it was first released in January. I get the same problem. Retrospect will launch twice. One Retrospect starts its usual scan and works normally through completion of its scheduled backup. The second Retrospect starts and complains that the Catalog is locked, shows the log and quits. This one is called Retrospect Directory in the menu when its dock icon is selected. The working version is called the name of the running script. I do not want to remove Retrospect and reinstall it because I'd lose all of my Custom Selectors and I do not know the name of the file they are saved in so that I could make a copy of it. I upgraded from version 5.1 and created all new backup sets several times so they are not Read Only version 5.1 scripts. Anyone have a solution to this ongoing issue?

Thanks

License, script and selector information is saved in:

Library/Preferences/Retrospect/Retro.Config (6.0)

Although the installer's un-install feature gives you the option of keeping or removig this file, it's certainly a good idea to have a backup copy of it, especially if you have lots of customization.

Your observation regarding the name as showin in the Dock's contextual menu is the first time this has been said; hopefully it might be a clue to Dantz.

BTW, what build version of Retrospect 6.x are you running? And which RDU (Retrospect Device Update) is loading?

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I know I'm a little late to this party, but I just got Retro and I'm having similar (but worse) problems. I can hardly get out of the starting gate in trying to learn how to use this thing.

I just bought another drive (160GB) and formatted it for MacOS (10.3.5, brand new as of this morning). "Ignore ownership" is NOT checked. I did an Immediate backup for a folder in my (user) documents folder. Went as expected. I quit Retro, then changed a few files in the folder I had backed up. Started Retro again and did the backup again to see it do its incremental thing, but no.... it says:

+ Executing Immediate Backup at 8/10/2004 9:41 AM

Can't add to backup set Backup Set CCP Only: The catalog is locked.

8/10/2004 9:41:26 AM: Execution incomplete.

OK.... I quit Retro. Trashed the "Backup Set CCP Only" file on my backup drive, then emptied the trash. Can't empty the trash -- says "File Is In Use". So, maybe the problem with Retro in the first place is due to the file being left open by its original run?

I'll try a reboot, which is the only way I know of to get a file left opened to close, then run Retro again and see if it will work. But maybe this additional info can help us in figuring out how to work around this problem and make it play. Otherwise I'm gonna take it back.

The best guests are always a little late...

This thread is about scripted backups, and seem to point to some problem where Retrospect is running twice.

- How did you install Retrospect?

- How are you launching Retrospect?

- Does the Dock show anything unusual during the working backup?

- Does Activity Monitor show any instance of Retrospect running when you thought you'd quit?

Archived