Compare taking forever

System: OSX 10.6.8 Server

Processor: 2x2.66 GHz Dual-Core Xeon

Ram: 6GB

Software: Retrospect 8.2

System has been unchanged since it was updated to 10.6.8. The only additional software that is on this system is FileMaker Pro v12.

Currently backing up 389GB from a Local disk (1TB) connect via firewire to a Drobo connected via Firewire (separate ports). This system has been running fine and I have no errors in the hardware. Retrospect went thru the initial backup at a normal rate then when it got to the Comparing function it is crawling along very slowly. It has now been running this one backup for over 25.5hrs. I noticed this issue yesterday and created a new Media Set and script when I started this current backup.

Any ideas or has anybody else seen this problem?

More info on this issue. Like I said everything backups and when the compare starts I get these errors. There are many more, I just copied the first few. I'm not sure as to what is causing this??? Any help at all?

+ Normal backup using 2012 Backups at 8/1/12 (Activity Thread 1)

To Media Set

2012 Backups... - 8/1/12 7:15:06 AM: Copying WIP 8/1/12 8:54:35 AM: Snapshot stored, 7.6 MB 8/1/12 8:54:41 AM: Comparing WIP

> !Trouble reading: "1-2012 Backups" (0), error -102 ( trouble communicating)

> !Trouble positioning: "1-2012 Backups" (0), error -102 ( trouble communicating)

> !Trouble reading: "1-2012 Backups" (17), error -102 ( trouble communicating)

> !Trouble positioning: "1-2012 Backups" (17), error -102 ( trouble communicating)

> !Trouble reading: "1-2012 Backups" (17), error -102 ( trouble communicating)

> !Trouble reading: "1-2012 Backups" (23), error -102 ( trouble communicating)

> !Trouble positioning: "1-2012 Backups" (23), error -102 ( trouble communicating)

> !Trouble reading: "1-2012 Backups" (23), error -102 ( trouble communicating)

> !Trouble reading: "1-2012 Backups" (11000), error -102 ( trouble communicating)

> !Trouble positioning: "1-2012 Backups" (11000), error -102 ( trouble communicating)

This system has been running fine and I have no errors in the hardware.

More info on this issue. Like I said everything backups and when the compare starts I get these errors...

> !Trouble positioning: "1-2012 Backups" (0), error -102 ( trouble communicating)...

You may think you have no hardware errors, but the -102 error strongly suggests a hardware problem.

You might try running diagnostics on the affected disk. However, Retrospect is pretty demanding on hard drives and will often reveal impending problems before other applications do.

You may think you have no hardware errors, but the -102 error strongly suggests a hardware problem.

You might try running diagnostics on the affected disk. However, Retrospect is pretty demanding on hard drives and will often reveal impending problems before other applications do.

Ok. It appears you're correct. I've been using a Drobo (Gen-2) for Retrospect to backup to. I switched to another drive and everything worked fine. Odd that the Drobo is controlled by it's own software and not showing any issues. Guess it's time to contact Data Robotics and ask them what the dealy-o is... I'll keep updates posted as to what is going on just so everyone who is interested stays in the know.

-George

• 2 weeks later...

One last followup. After working with Data Robotics it was recognized that a Patch needed to be installed. The Drobo unit is connected to the server via FW800, but oddly needed a "Mac_SCSI_Driver_Patch" that was supplied to me from Data Robotics. After the install of this patch the backups are now working correctly again.

Here is what I was told by Data Robotics just as a FYI: "HI I am xxxxxx, a tier 2 rep here at Drobo. I am attaching a firewire patch for your machine. Apple has some outstanding firewire issues with some of the Intel computers they manufactured before 2011. Please download and unzip the patch attached to this email then install it."