Friday 13th crashed recycle backup

On holiday last week. Yesterday my hard drive quit on my iMac. Locked up, clicking motor.

Figured I'd lost a weeks work as when I checked the backup it hadn't run since last Friday - the 13th.

Turns out that in my absence my Mac had crashed during the recycle backup and all that's there is about 3.6GB of 120GB. Installed 6.1 on my home Mac and recovered that so far.

Not good. Is there any way of recovering the previous incremental back ups otherwise I've lost about 4 years of work. I'm figuring nothing else has been written to the backup drive since but assuming normal file recovery software isn't going to find it?

• Like 1

I think your best option is to turn in your (source) hard drive for recovery. (That is since your backup is partly overwritten with the 3.6GB of data.)

Why did you recycle your only backup? As you now have discovered, you have NO backup the instance you recycle the only one you got.

You should have used at least two backup sets and alternating between then. You should also store the latest backup off site. Think fire, theft, flooding, thunderstorms, hurricanes, you name it.