Error -1017 ( insufficient permissions) on an Open File

I have an iomega storCenter px4-300r NAS volume mounted on my Retrospect Server as a Source. It is mounted correctly, using Retrospect's Admin interface. It is mounted using AFP ... not SMB.

I have Retrospect 9.0.2 (107) on OS X 10.6.8 on an Xserve.

I run an hourly Retrospect Script to back up this Source. It works just fine, unless there is a file in the volume that is open in Microsoft Office 2011 on another workstation. In that case, I get a 1017 "Insufficient Permissions" error for those files:

- 7/17/12 1:03:15 PM: Copying CHS_IT

*File "/Volumes/CHS_IT/software_licenses/general_licenses.xls": can't read, error -1017 ( insufficient permissions)

7/17/12 1:03:39 PM: Snapshot stored, 573 KB

7/17/12 1:04:13 PM: 1 execution errors

Remaining: 1 files, 30 KB

Completed: 0 files, 0 B, with 0% compression

Performance: 0 MB/minute

Duration: 00:00:58 (00:00:28 idle/loading/preparing)

I do not have the "Open Files Backup for Windows Clients" option purchased because we don't need it. We have a negligible number of Windows clients in our shop.

Am I getting this error because Office files, created by a Mac, open on a Mac, are being treated by Retrospect as "open files" on a Windows Client?

Is this a bug, or am I misunderstanding what the "Open Files ..." option is for?

Has anyone else seen this ... does it go away if the "Open Files ..." option is installed?

Thanks,

_rob_

Microsoft programs (often) likes exclusive access to files. That means they don't even allow "read only" access to other software, such as backup software (of any kind).

Try and open a shared Office file from another machine and you'll get a message:

This file is locked for editing.

Locked by: another user

Filename: FooFile.docx

you can open the file as read-only.

<Cancel> <Read-Only>

When/if the other user closes the file (and your read-only copy is still open) you'll get a dialog box telling you it's now available to edit and giving you the chance to have your window close and the original editable version open.

I don't know what Word is doing behind the scenes on this; my guess is it's making a copy (local or otherwise) of the file for the second user (read-only) while maintaining the "no access" policy Lennart suggests for the original.

And that would be the cause of your problem w/backups.

-dave