Can't Access Volume Error -505

I am not sure what the issue is here. From the server I can access the source and browse the file structure but when I run the script it gives me the following: "Can't access volume Backups on XXXX, error -505 ( unknown)"

The Server is on a mac but the client in question is running on a windows machine. The software is up to date on both the client and server ends.

Anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thanks

• Like 1

I am not sure what the issue is here. From the server I can access the source and browse the file structure but when I run the script it gives me the following: "Can't access volume Backups on XXXX, error -505 ( unknown)"

You seem to imply that the volume "Backups" is on the client machine. Is that correct? What kind of script are you attempting to run?

The software is up to date on both the client and server ends.

That may be so, but actual version numbers could be useful. While you're at it, how about the OS versions as well?

An error -505 means that Retrospect could not connect to the backup source which in your case is the volume Backups on XXXX. If this is a removable volume you need to make sure it is mounted before the backup starts. When you browse the source can you actually see a volume called Backups because if you can not then it would explain why you are getting the -505 error. The other possibility is that Backups volume no longer exists on the client but is still selected to be backed up either in the script or client settings on the server.

I will try to answer all questions with this reply:

The Retrospect Server is version - 8.2.0 - (399) and is on a Mac running OSX - 10.5.8

The Volume "Backups" is located on a Windows 7 machine with Retrospect Client - 7.7.114

The script I am running is a scheduled backup, when I browse sources I can see the Windows 7 machine and the volume "backups". This source is not a removable volume.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

This morning I opened up a Retrospect Client from a third machine running OSX 10.6.8 and Client 8.2.0(399). I went to sources tab and clicked "browse" on the windows 7 machine that I have been getting the -505 error. It opened up the file structure and showed me all the files available. I then manually started the script and it now appears to be running ok. Why would this script be having trouble accessing the volume on its own? I don't want to have to manually start this script every day.

The other possibility was that client's status was set to still in use from a backup that did not finish properly and thus any further backups would give the -505 error. The reason why it started working was because the client's status was refreshed. If it happens again the first thing is to check the client's status on the actual client and make sure it does not think it is still in use. Even though the engine and console see the client as ready if the client reports in use this error can occur.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been able to get the windows client to respond, thanks!

But now I have another issue. Everytime I run this same script it takes upwards of 5 days when going through the comparing stage. It gets multiple errors all the same and really slows it down:

"can't read, error -1101 (unknown)"

What can I do to not get these repeating errors?

Thank you for all your help.

A couple of possibilities are:

To make sure all programs are closed using the exit command from the file menu if possible.

Turn off comparison.

Make sure to exclude temp directories and files as these can change between actual backup and comparison.

The -1101 error is that a file and/or folder could not be located due to some sort of cleanup.

I switched the script options to "Media Verification" from "Thorough Verification" and that helped a ton but I still get four "-1101 errors" with the description "can't read security information"

Does this help me narrow down the issue? I would prefer to use thorough verification.

The reason you are still seeing the errors after switching to Media Verification is because those files are not being copied with their security information. This can depend on a lot of factors such as how you are connecting to the client. If you really want to use Thorough Verification I would make sure to exclude Temp folders and files as well as Temporary Internet folders.

• 1 year later...

Hi, I am getting a similar message (-505) and am hoping for some guidance.  

We are running Retrospect 8.2.0 on a MacPro Dual Core Intel Xeon with OS 10.8.6 to backup an office network of Macs.  I have an iMac 2 GHz Intel Core Duo with OS 10.8.5 and Retrospect Client 6.3.029 on the network that stopped backing up in February with a message stating "error -505 (backup client reserved)."  We tried forgetting the client machine, uninstalling and reinstalling the client application, and changing its internal IP address and re-adding it to Retrospect.  I was able to add the volume by source/IP address, but I cannot browse through the client machine's file structure.  The client application currently states, "in use by '[our backup server]' for 'Preparing'" - not sure what this means, or what step to take next. Am using a local USB drive on the client with Time Machine as a stop-gap, but would really like to get this machine back on Retrospect.

Any help appreciated! :)

• Like 1

The -505 Backup Client Reserved error can occur if something happens to the client computer in the middle of a backup. Whatever the cause, the cure is the same. You have to delete the file retroclient.state, located at /Library/Preferences, either with the client not running (not just "off"), or after having uninstalled the client software. Command-click the Off button to get the Retrospect client into a non-running state (the status pane will say "Not running").

If you uninstall the client software, you'll have to forget and re-add it in the Sources pane of the backup computer.

The -505 Backup Client Reserved error can occur if something happens to the client computer in the middle of a backup. Whatever the cause, the cure is the same. You have to delete the file retroclient.state, located at /Library/Preferences, either with the client not running (not just "off"), or after having uninstalled the client software. Command-click the Off button to get the Retrospect client into a non-running state (the status pane will say "Not running").

If you uninstall the client software, you'll have to forget and re-add it in the Sources pane of the backup computer.

I uninstalled the client software, restarted, and then hunted for the preference file you mentioned.  Could not locate it either in the main library/preferences folder for the machine or the user's library/preference folder.  I went ahead nonetheless and reinstalled the client application, forgot the machine as a source and re-added it, and am back where I started.  Have I missed something or do you have any other suggestions?

Retroclient.state is the file that has all the configuration data related to the 6.3.029 client app. Reinstalling the client software should have created that file if it didn't exist previously. Have you tried searching the root level Library to see if it's been moved to some other folder?

I'm wondering whether Retrospect client 6.3.029 might not be compatible with OS 10.8.5. You might try installing the 9.02 client version and see if that works with Retro 8.

The 9.02 client will not work with 8.2 server as it will give an error that the "client version is to new".  The 6.3.029 client is compatible with 10.8.5 and 10.9.2  I would check the firewall settings on the client to make sure you are allowing Retrospect client through the firewall.  You might also need to change the "Allow apps downloaded from to run" setting in the Security and Privacy control panel to "App Store and identified publishers".

I repaired permissions on the client machine and checked the firewall and security settings to make sure those were not possibly interfering with Retrospect...firewall was not on, and app settings were wide open. Still no luck.  Now I am wondering whether a system reinstall on the client machine might fix the problem.  Any thoughts?