16 threads?

I have seen crashed of the engine when "too many" things are going on at once. More than one or two heavy activities also can reduce net performance. It is wonderful to be able to so a second operation when one is already busy, but the ability to do 10 or 20 at a time is of dubious value. I recommend limiting that to 2 or 3 threads.

• Like 1

What would be a good way to schedule that?

Threads are not scheduled; the number of threads allowed is simply how many activities may be running at the same time. Such a situation may occur because you have several regular backup or copy scripts scheduled at the same time, or a proactive script running, or that you are performing a restore at the same time as a backup, etc.

As Lennart notes, each separate activity needs to involve a different source and a different destination media set or copy volume.

• Like 1

And you need to have enough free RAM to be able to actually run that many concurrent threads. With a 4G RAM backup machine, I was never really able to get more than 5 activities running concurrently (on rare occasion a 6th was started). I've bumped my backup engine to 8G, but haven't tried to get more than that going.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I've gotta jump in here - I use Desktop v10, [ 2 instances - 10.6.8 & 10.8.2 ], and as long as I don't restart the computer ( but I do every night! ), I must reselect the Activity Threads in thePreferences and then match them in Scripts.

So it's not very useful at this point. If I were to *like* this feature and find it useful, I should be out of luck, eh? All we need is for the Activity Setting is to *stick* through reboots ( write a prefs file? ).

I have had 3 threads running simultaneously, and did find it quite useful.

Shame it has to be reset every day...

jeff

I've gotta jump in here - I use Desktop v10, [ 2 instances - 10.6.8 & 10.8.2 ], and as long as I don't restart the computer ( but I do every night! ), I must reselect the Activity Threads in thePreferences and then match them in Scripts.

So it's not very useful at this point. If I were to *like* this feature and find it useful, I should be out of luck, eh? All we need is for the Activity Setting is to *stick* through reboots ( write a prefs file? ).

I have had 3 threads running simultaneously, and did find it quite useful.

Shame it has to be reset every day...

jeff

It isn't clear how you schedule your scripts.

It also isn't clear how you restart the computer. Is that by selecting "Restart" in the Apple menu? Or du you hold down the power button util a shutdown is forced?

I schedule them at discrete times, but the 3 I mentioned were all manual - manually run timed script, and 2 verify media sets.

It shows up under 'activities' as 3 distinct running 'threads'.

I select Restart or Shutdown depending on the time of day ( I shut down all my computers at night.)

I just wish that the numbered threads would survive reboots/shutdowns.

Something to do with the background Server ... ?

You mean the engine?

Yes, when shutting down the computer you force the engine to stop what it is doing. It doesn't just suspend, it stops.

That's the way it is, has always been and probably always will be.

Let the backups finish before shutting down.