Backing up multiple TB's - Retrospect asks for new members on its own?

We're testing the latest Retrospect 9 on OSX Server 10.6.7, after running v8. Backing up from a direct-attached SAS RAID to a big NAS.

I have two rotating sets with separate scripts to handle them. While v8 would keep corrupting the sets, v9 worked fine and picked up from where v8 left - at least for one of the sets.

When I switched over to the other set "B-OfficeData", I got a "Needs media" prompt, asking for the member 2-B-OfficeData. This happens with both scheduled and manual runs. I've never had additional members for these sets, and no media action is specified anywhere.

The set is about 8TB with 13,982 .rdb files. There's still 1.5TB free on the volume and the members are set to use 99% of the available space.

Why is it asking me for additional members?

Why is it asking me for additional members?

The catalog for this media set thinks it should be writing to member #2. This occurs most commonly when member #1 gets full, or if the user manually skips to a new member. However, it can also happen if Retrospect runs into difficulty writing to member #1. Catalog corruption is also not out of the question.

I know of no way to edit the catalog to revert this flag. Luckily, your media set has only 14,000 files, so a catalog rebuild shouldn't be too onerous.

Alternatively, you might try creating a new folder on the NAS volume and see if you can use this as the destination for member #2. However, if you can't pinpoint a likely cause for Retrospect's odd behavior with this media set, I'd opt for the catalog rebuild to reduce the chances for further flaky behavior.

We have long made periodic backups of our Retrospect catalogs so we could revert to them in case of difficulty. Performing a catalog repair to update the backed up version of the catalog is quicker than rebuilding the whole catalog from scratch.

Thanks for the response, twickland. I created the second member on the same drive, right next to the first member's folder. So far I had 3 scheduled normal runs and Retrospect has been happy.

If I run into further problems I'll try Catalog repair/rebuild, I was leery of this as the last time I tried it (with Retro 8) it was completely onerous - took about 3 days to run. Hope 9 is better.