Large number of sources, multiple media sets, one script?

Hi-

I have a lot of sources and multiple media sets. What is the easiest way to create the least amount of scripts for backing these clients up? Do I have to write a script for each individual client or is there a more efficient way of doing this?

Thanks.

You can have as many clients (sources) and as many destinations (media sets) in a script as you wish. Then you connect all the sources with one of the listed destinations with a "schedule" that runs at a specific time.

I create one script per destination usually.

You can also create tags, assigning them to your various sources (clients, HD volumes, favorite folders, etc.) , and then using the tags as sources in your scripts rather than listing all of the clients or volumes individually. We use lots of tags to keep track of laptops, lab computers, office computers, large file users, etc. Each source can be assigned multiple tags as desired, and you can use multiple tags as sources in each script. Your scripts can list some or all of your destination media sets, and you can create multiple schedulers to the different media sets so you back up to different sets on different days or weeks. There's a lot of flexibility in Retrospect.

Thanks for the suggestions. My media sets are set up per OS (Leopard, SnowLeopard 1 and 2, Windows A and B etc...). So does it make sense to tag each source per their operating system then have a script for each OS, choosing the media set that it corresponds to? Is that a good option?

Thanks again.

My media sets are set up per OS (Leopard, SnowLeopard 1 and 2, Windows A and B etc...). So does it make sense to tag each source per their operating system then have a script for each OS, choosing the media set that it corresponds to?

Given what you're trying to achieve with your media sets, the tags and scripts you mention would be a good choice.

FWIW, aside from your personal preferences, there's no need to use different media sets for different OSes. I would suggest, though, that each source be backed up to at least two different media sets (we use three). That way, in the event that one set's media ever becomes unreadable, you will have a second good backup.

Im inheriting this setup so if I had my way, I wouldn't have done it by OS but I can see the logic my predecessor was using. Im sure they didnt plan on using tags. The next step I need to take is to dump these hard drives to tape. This is the redundancy you speak of. Thanks for your help.