Retrospect hangs

Hello all,

I have a windows server 2008 standard running as an ESXi VM with Retrospect used to backup the clients of a small net (15 pcs).

Retrospect is 7.7.620 single server edition.

My problem is that often the backup script begins execution and then hangs (for hours) doing nothing but consuming cpu, no backup is performed.

I already tried rebuilding the catalog and checking media files (a remote share on a nas) with no effect.

I use the Administrator account to run the backup process.

The sever uses Tren Micro Worry Free as antivirus.

Any clue?

Thanks for your kind attention

Alberto

My problem is that often the backup script begins execution and then hangs (for hours) doing nothing but consuming cpu, no backup is performed.

The console should tell you what it is doing (such as scanning, matching, copying, building snapshot etc).

What does the log say?

Does it always hang on the same client? Or random?

Hi Lennart,

the console show nothing, just that the script is running. The progress bar is totally white (no progress) .

In the activity log I juts get the message that retrospect was started with the administrator account.

Today it's the third day without backup, and always the very same behavior .

Thanks for your kind attention.

Alberto

Dear Lennart,

unfortunately I cannot restart the sever right now, it's our Domain Controller, File server and primary DNS server.

For your information I rebooted the server only a week ago to perform the upgrade to ESXi 5.0, but the problem was much older, now it's worsening I can no longer perform any backup ( awhile ago it used to happen once every two week, more or less).

Thanks for your patience

Alberto

• 2 months later...

I've started to notice a few backup jobs that are 'stuck' on 'building snapshot'.

I've the same software versions as you mention.

Right now I have 2 proactive jobs from 9-6 that are still listed as 'building snapshot'.

I tried to stop one of them, but no luck.

Also, other proactive jobs are running while this happens...and succesful.

I know the datasets were fine..and one was just rebuilt.

This is the 4 or 5th time over the last couple months that this has happened.

Very odd.

edit....

both jobs show this:

- 9/6/2012 8:07:35 AM: Copying OS (C:)

necoIncoming: empty stream packet, tid 31

9/6/2012 4:23:41 PM: Grooming Backup Set Backup Set E...

9/6/2012 5:15:55 PM: Groomed 56.7 GB from Backup Set Backup "different:

Can't back up COM+ Class Registration database, error -1101 ( file/directory not found)

Can't back up WMI Repository, error -1101 ( file/directory not found)

File "C:\Recycle.Bin\": can't read security information, error -1101 ( file/directory not found)

File "C:\Recycle.Bin\S-1-5-21-2526979124-580372888-1861124916-1003\": can't read security information, error -1101 ( file/directory not found)

File "C:\Recycle.Bin\S-1-5-21-2526979124-580372888-1861124916-1008\": can't read security information, error -1101 ( file/directory not found)

File "C:\Recycle.Bin\S-1-5-21-2526979124-580372888-1861124916-500\": can't read security information, error -1101 ( file/directory not found)

File "C:\Recycle.Bin\S-1-5-21-610559702-419526538-1541874228-1010\": can't read security information, error -1101 ( file/directory not found)

File "C:\Recycle.Bin\S-1-5-21-610559702-419526538-1541874228-500\": can't read security information, error -1101 ( file/directory not found)

File "C:\AdvCPP\": can't read security information, error -1101 ( file/directory not found)

File "C:\AdvCPP\00_Demo\": can't read security information, error -1101 ( file/directory not found)

File "C:\AdvCPP\01_Recent_Additions_Lab\": can't read security information, error -1101 ( file/directory not found)

File "C:\AdvCPP\01_Recent_Additions_Lab\Lab1\": can't read security information, error -1101 ( file/directory not found)

Or some variation of.

I quite often get hangs on 'Rebuilding snapshot' in 7.7. It can sit there for days and of course the cancel button doesn't actually do anything either. It always ends up with my stopping any new backups from starting and then crashing the RS Server as there is no other way of stopping the script or closing Retrospect.

Rich

• 4 months later...

Has anyone found out a way to stop these 'buidling snapshot' hangs?

Ex:

I have machines that do Procative backsups.

Say the backup is running and near the end of the day it starts it's building snapshot...then the user leaves or shuts down - well the job hangs.

Stopping it does nothing as mentioned. I have to kill the process and MOST of the time rebuild that catalog file.

Right now I have two jobs from yesterday that are in that state....that's two nearly 2TB ea backup sets catalog file we'll have to rebuild.

Any suggestions?

This really needs to be resolved or addressed as we can't keep taking 20+ hours to rebuild cat. files.

(Version 7.7)

• 1 month later...

We have a rather large Retrospect backup setup with two servers running Retrospect and backing up about 600 workstations and about 150 servers.

On one windows workstation Retrospect would also appear to hang. This machine has two hard drives. After finishing the first drive the client will simply stop for 4-5 hours before doing the second drive. The problem is in the client on that particular machine. The client has been reinstalled multiple times. I think there is some other program on the workstation that is causing the problem.

Because Retrospect is still able to run other processes this does not affect the backup of other workstations, which all seem to work normally.

I would suggest that it is not a good idea to be running the backups from your domain controller. You might want to try running Retrospect from another machine that is not running anything else, at least temporarily. If this solves your problem there is some other process running on your server that is causing the issue. It will also allow you to reboot when needed, and to stop other background tasks that might interfere.

Good luck.

Terry