Backup Strategy

I'm an old Retrospect 6 / Exabyte 1x10 Packetloader user who's now using Retrospect 9 / Tandberg Data LTO-4 StorageLoader using Ultrium 3 tapes. In the "old days" we did a recycle backup each night night. Now, I'm using incremental.

We upgraded because we wanted to backup more of our data, which is about 830 GB. My hope was that I could back up four nights a week using two tapes per backup.

After about 4-5 backup sessions, however, Retrospect is asking for new media to complete the backup. I'm assuming that two tapes aren't enough capacity for our backups and that I'll need three days per backup. What's odd is that the tapes are not showing they're full.

A question ... why do some tapes show greater capacity than others? Software compression is off. I'm assuming the LTO-4 Drive is using hardware compression

Sorry for this rambling statement/question. I'm kind of a newbie. Any suggestions or explanations are appreciated.

Thanks.