"retrieve backup" script thinks media member is missing

I have Retro 9.0.2 running on three servers, Mac OS X 10.6.8 on each, backing up to external arrays. In all three cases I had set up the arrays as disk media sets but had neglected to allow grooming on them. When I tried to run a groom script, it said that grooming had not been enabled on the media set. So I enabled "Groom (to retrospect standard)" on each. As soon as I did this, Retro started a "Retrieve Backup" script. I looked it up in the manual, it said that Retro needs to add additional information to the catalog to allow grooming. In two cases, the "Retrieve Backup" operation completed successfully (and rather quickly, considering these backup sets are in the 5-8 TB range), but on one server, it reads just one file, then stops and asks to "choose media". The name of the media set is BigBak and the member it is looking for is 1-BigBak. The drive is mounted, and Retro can still backup to it, but the Retrieve backup script just keeps getting that same error even after a restart. The two working servers use RAID cards (mini-SAS to eSATA) to attach to external drive arrays, the one that is not working is using firewire. Seems like a bug to me.

• Like 1

This may be related to the "problem" I reported here.

Firewire drives are "named" differently, because they are mounted differently by the OS. I have seen my firewire drives mounted with multiple names. When Retro picks up the name on creation of the media set it "fixes" it, and if on subsequent reboots the name changes, sometimes Retro can't find it.

I ran some experiments on this, and got mixed results. It looks to me like Retro uses the posix path to ID the drive sometimes, and another mehchanisn (that is not path sensitive) other times.

The Retrospect folks need to look into it. It will be a headache down the road.

Together with the invention with the world wide web it has turn into considerably less difficult to locate and then buy Ugg boots for cheap. Nonetheless, 1 requirements to be careful when using a few from the sites offering this extremely common form of footwear.

|really|truly} cool and well-known company, and you will be finding amazing

ababhzmfxq

Spam!

Anyway, same thing happen after a rebuild which succeeded. And same thing happens during a "verify". So I guess I can't trust this media set and should delete it and start all over again.

But it continues to make backups to it without errors, which is weird.