error on clients

Can't access backup client ####, error -530 ( backup client not found)

Can't access volume ######, error -530 ( backup client not found)

nertPInstMake: wrong serial number: sought , but found QCVZ-PE3T-43PH-45

Can't access volume ####, error -525 ( wrong client found at that address)

Last week I didnt get this error, I have a full serial, now what? How can I change the serial? (This serial isnt the one I have)

Can't access volume ####, error -525 ( wrong client found at that address)

These are actually two errors.

The -525 error can happen for a couple of reasons: the client software was reinstalled, or the client was added by direct IP address but it doesn't have a fixed IP address or an IP address reservation.The solution is to forget the source on your backup computer and then add it back correctly.

I believe the wrong serial number message only relates to the console and engine and not the client, and refers to a mismatch between the value stored in the configuration file Config80.dat and what Retrospect expects. (We ran into it when switching between Retro 8 and 9 during testing, and inadvertently tried to access the running Retro 8 engine using the Retro 9 console.) Do you have multiple versions installed? Are you running the console and engine on the same machine or different machines?

These are actually two errors.

The -525 error can happen for a couple of reasons: the client software was reinstalled, or the client was added by direct IP address but it doesn't have a fixed IP address or an IP address reservation.The solution is to forget the source on your backup computer and then add it back correctly.

I Have fixed IP Address on this machine (actually on my network I have static maps, but this one is fixed) It can be an issue, the first time I ran Retro server was on this machine. But everything went normal until 2 days ago.

I believe the wrong serial number message only relates to the console and engine and not the client, and refers to a mismatch between the value stored in the configuration file Config80.dat and what Retrospect expects. (We ran into it when switching between Retro 8 and 9 during testing, and inadvertently tried to access the running Retro 8 engine using the Retro 9 console.) Do you have multiple versions installed? Are you running the console and engine on the same machine or different machines?

The engine is running on a different machine that this one that I need to backup. As I said, the trouble started 2 days ago. Will test to forget the source and add it again. And no, never installed retro 8 on this machine. TY

Everything ok now. But I have another issue pursuing me about 1 week: One media set (One that have error one tape and eated another one new) is taking to long to build the snapshot (about 2 hours for 6GB) Should I recycle?

But I have another issue pursuing me about 1 week: One media set (One that have error one tape and eated another one new) is taking to long to build the snapshot (about 2 hours for 6GB) Should I recycle?

What does the 6GB refer to? The size of the backup session? If so, how many files were backed up in that session?

What does the 2 hours refer to: the time when the log says, "snapshot stored?" If so, recognize that that time includes the time required to scan the source volume, match the source volume to the catalogue, back up the files that have changed, and create and store the snapshot.

How many files are on the source volume? How many files are in your media set? What are the details of the computer you are using for the backup (processor, OS version, RAM)? What kind of tape drive and how is it connected? All of these can and will affect the amount of time it takes to complete a backup.

In my experience, unless it's huge, the number of files in the media set probably have the smallest affect of all the above things on the speed of the backup, and this is the only thing that would be affected if you decided to recycle the media set. As a quick check of this, you could create a new test backup set and see if the time it takes to perform a backup changes significantly.

As a quick check of this, you could create a new test backup set and see if the time it takes to perform a backup changes significantly.

Thats precisely what I intend to do. I would ignore the time off the snapshot building if another backups that I have did took same time, but no. I have about 4 more and they took about 15 min each. This started to happen since one tape gave an error.