Scheduling second item screws up existing schedule

Don Lee

I just had one of my proactive scripts quit because it hit its "scheduled stop time".

I wanted it to finish, so rather than create a new script, I thought I would add another schedule item to run it just for today, leaving the existing schedule and script intact.

When I went to add another script entry for "10 AM to 3 PM/every day", I ended up with two schedule entries on the script, both saying "12AM-12AM/every day".

Clearly the act of adding the additional script entry overwrote/corrupted the existing schedule entry.

I have seen this before in other circumstances. In my experience, the scheduling machinery does not work well. A single entry generally works, but more than one is trouble.

(Retro 9.0.2.107, Mac OS X 10.6.8)

I have seen this before in other circumstances. In my experience, the scheduling machinery does not work well. A single entry generally works, but more than one is trouble.

I see it all the time... I have to redo settings on daily basis!

Retrospect 9.0.2 is a lot of work maintaing right settings for all backup/archive scripts, it randomly changes scripts media sets or favourite folder to wrong ones.

Is this normal?

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, we use scripts with multiple schedules all the time and have never had the schedules change spontaneously.

When creating or modifying schedules, it's important that none of the schedules have a starting date and time that's in the past, or Retrospect will impose a starting time in the future. Is it possible this may have been a factor?

If not, this problem would suggest that the configuration file Config80 has gotten corrupted. That file, which in the opinion of many of us is used to store too much information, also seems to be too fragile for comfort.

I suppose so, since the new method of setting start and stop times is very limited. For example, how do I tell it to start at 8 pm and stop at 8am the next day? It seems to assume that I mean the same day as the start time, but there is no obvious option to set the day of the stop time different than the day of the start time.... Am I missing something? Or is the software?

• 2 weeks later...

So, I thought I had figured out the new scheduling syntax, but alas......

I have a proactive script set to run M-F from 8 PM to 8 AM the next day....... SO WHY did it start running a backup at 445 PM? It is causing me much disruption and grief. I'm considering other incremental backup solutions even though I've been using Retrospect for many years.