System freezes when booted from CD

I just upgraded to Retrospect 6.

I wanted to test the functionality of this new version, so I booted off the CD and started to duplicate my OS X partition to a firewire drive. First time through, Retrospect scanned the system partition and the clone partition. Before copying to the firewire drive, however, the system started to thrash to the point where I had to reboot the machine. Second time through, I got just as far, but this time, the system froze (mouse wouldn't move, etc.)

I am able to successfully clone my OS 9 partition to the firewire drive when booted off the CD

I had no such problems under Retrospect 5 (mind you, I didn't boot off the CD).

Any ideas?

> What flavor of Macintosh are you using?

I am using a PowerBook G3 (400MHz, DVD, Firewire, 256M RAM).

I should add that I don't have any trouble with duplicating my OS X partition under Retrospect 6 as long as I don't boot from CD.

Quote:

CallMeDave said:

What flavor of Macintosh are you using?

To add to my previous reply, I should mention that I am running Panther on my G3 Powerbook. I don't know if the Retrospect CD uses Jaguar as the underlying system, and if so, if that might be an issue with my setup (I upgraded straight from System 10.1 to 10.3, so I never dealt with Jaguar).

I should mention that I am running Panther on my G3 Powerbook.

Agreed. Relevant information should also be included in problem reports.

But Apple produced more then one G3 based PowerBook; which one do you have?

I don't know if the Retrospect CD uses Jaguar as the underlying system...

You can find out; boot up from the HD, insert the CD, and visit the Startup Disk preference pane. You'll see the CD listed there, along with the version of OS X that it contains.

Dave

Quote:

CallMeDave said:

But Apple produced more then one G3 based PowerBook; which one do you have?

I don't know if the Retrospect CD uses Jaguar as the underlying system...

You can find out; boot up from the HD, insert the CD, and visit the Startup Disk preference pane. You'll see the CD listed there, along with the version of OS X that it contains.

Dave

The first (and only, I believe) Firewire G3 400MHz Powerbook (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=43126)

Following your preference pane tip: The Retrospect CD I have is using 10.3.2.

Archived