My trial of Single Server Backup 7.7 (for Windows) has now run out, so I bought the software. (I previously ran SBS 7.6 for several years.)

Everything is still working, but after 45 days of error free backups I am now getting numerous error reports concerning files which could not be backed up because of 'sharing violations'.

I gather this is because the trial software was able to copy files which were open and in use, but the full version does not. I presume these files are not important?

I would buy the Open File Backup add-on, but at £850.00 GBP (around three times the cost of the original software), it is rather expensive. Is this list price even correct I wonder? On the other hand, Retrospect Professional 7.7 on my desktop machine cost only £28 GBP to upgrade, and backs up open files without any add-ons!

Is there any way around this problem? Would it be better to run a separate Windows 7 PC as a backup server, rather than trying to save energy and the planet by running just one Windows 2008 R2 server? Alternatively, is there any way of excluding open files from the backup to prevent the error messages?

Does Symantec backup copy open files I wonder? I would have thought this was an obvious requirement for any server backup software.

Your open file add-on for version 7.6 works just fine in 7.7. Just enter the serial number for that add-on. (Assuming this is an upgrade from 7.6 and not a new installation.)

Unfortunately my previous version was for Windows 2003 R2 SBS Premium, so the add-on package no longer works.

I did install SBS 2011 when we first bought the new server, but we didn't need Exchange or SQL, and it didn't run well, so we reverted to WIndows 2008 R2 (not SBS) which runs like a dream. Unfortunately, Retrospect charge like a wounded bull for the licence codes, so we are kind of stuck. I could understand if we were running a multi-national corporation, but £850 GBP EXTRA just to back up open files seems rather excessive for only four users. :(

Unfortunately my previous version was for Windows 2003 R2 SBS Premium, so the add-on package no longer works.

I did install SBS 2011 when we first bought the new server, but we didn't need Exchange or SQL, and it didn't run well, so we reverted to WIndows 2008 R2 (not SBS) which runs like a dream. Unfortunately, Retrospect charge like a wounded bull for the licence codes, so we are kind of stuck. I could understand if we were running a multi-national corporation, but £850 GBP EXTRA just to back up open files seems rather excessive for only four users. :(

I don't understand why the Windows version would matter.

What, exactly, does Retrospect say when you enter the license code for the open file backup?

Are you sure you have the correct license code? (For "Open File Backup" for version 7.6)

http://www.retrospect.com/en/products/win/addons

Here it says:

Note: Retrospect 7.6 for Windows add-ons will continue to function with Retrospect 7.7 for windows and do not need to be updated.

Open File Backup Unlimited 7.6/7.7

Protects Windows files (on NTFS file systems) that are open and in use, including multiple volumes and business-critical server applications like e-mail, database, CRM, accounting, or proprietary applications.

Unfortunately, the SBS Premium version of Retrospect was specific to Microsoft Small Business Server 2003, and would not work with any other version of Microsoft Server.

If I try to add the licence code for my add-on it says (I quote):

Can't add that licence code

(doesn't offer additional functionality)

Please try again.

As I explained, we purchased SBS 2011 with the new server, but despite meeting all of the hardware requirements by a considerable margin it ran very slowly, and was not at all stable. SBS 2011 also included a lot of functionality that we just didn't need (such as Exchange and SQL server), and which couldn't be safely disabled. I ended up selling the SBS 2011 package on e-bay at a considerable loss, as neither Micro$soft or the reseller would offer any help or a refund; even though the licence code had never been entered :(

So, after several unsuccessful re-installations of SBS 2011 we then purchased Windows Server 2008 R2 (NOT SBS), which works perfectly, but for some reason Retrospect charge nearly five times as much for the add-on package as they do for SBS versions of Windows Server; (£1,798 GBP including VAT instead of £378 for the SBS version.) If you want to include support this goes up to a stonking £2,140.80! :(

To put this into perspective, our new Fujitsu server only cost about £500.

I could understand if open file backup required complex additional software, but it is just a licence code! And the £28 GBP version (Retrospect Professional) does open file backup for free, but won't work on Windows servers, even though the software is identical! (Again this is just a licence code).

I really like Retrospect, and have used and trusted the software for more than ten years now; but frankly I just feel they are taking the Mickey with add-on prices like these.

Maybe somebody should tell them that small businesses are not having an easy time right now.

And maybe I should look elsewhere for my backup software.

PS: If anybody from Retrospect is listening, wouldn't it be better to offer these add-on packages according to the number of user licences on the server? Surely this would be a much fairer way of charging for add-ons than by software name alone? After all, SBS can support up to 50 users, whilst Server 2008 R2 Standard only comes with 5 user licences.