Does v9 fix the sluggish performanc in the v 8 program

Whenever I need to restore something and I only want to restore a selected folder, it takes a LONG time to get to that window where you can preview what it is you are going to back up and then select it. It is also very slow when you select items and deseleting items within that window. My backup sets are quite large, almost. I am using an older dual duo Core mac (2.2GHz) and retro 8.2. I have been waiting to jump to v9 and I wanted to know if things are any different.

Question: in this restore situation, is the sluggish response caused by the program?, the Mac? or maybe the backup set is just too big?

any insight is appreciated!

thanks

Mike

• Like 1

Whenever I need to restore something and I only want to restore a selected folder, it takes a LONG time to get to that window where you can preview what it is you are going to back up and then select it. It is also very slow when you select items and deseleting items within that window. My backup sets are quite large, almost. I am using an older dual duo Core mac (2.2GHz) and retro 8.2. I have been waiting to jump to v9 and I wanted to know if things are any different.

While it's just an impression without any measurement, it doesn't feel to me that Retro 9 is significantly faster than Retro 8 was. The preparation for a restore from a snapshot depends on the number of files in the media set, plus the speed of the processor, available memory, etc. This initial prep has always taken a long time, even in Retro 6. The difference is that 6 gave us a window where the progress through multiple catalog passes was displayed, which made the process feel shorter than it actually was. The big difference is after the catalog has been searched. Once the files were found, one could quickly page through the files and folders in Retro 6, and even view the files sorted by name, size, date, etc. instead of in the original directory hierarchy. As you note, Retro 8/9 forces us to tediously plod through the directory structure one level at a time. Restoring the Retro 6-type view capabilities has long been on my wish list for the new Retrospect.