"backup set already in use by another..." question

I have a Mac Pro, running OS X Server 10.6.8, Retrospect 9.0.2, ATTO SAS card and HP LTO-4 tape drive. My current backup set has three tapes (I'm on the third of three).

After running Diskwarrior on my boot drive, Retrospect shows two versions under sources: one valid one, and one with a flash symbol next to it. I guess the disk ID changed so Retro no longer thinks it exists. So I reassigned the sources to the new drive and ran a quick script just to backup a few items to the existing tape media set, then ran restore for those files. First Retro asked me for the destination, I checked "New Folder", and proceeded. Then Retro started flashing a question mark indicating it needed media. But the third tape was already in. When I clicked on that tape, Retro threw up a message saying that it was already a member of a different backup set. I've only seen that message before in connection with a backup (write) operation), not a restore (read). Was Retro actually expecting me to insert the first tape of the entire set, or is this a bug?

Then Retro started flashing a question mark indicating it needed media. But the third tape was already in. When I clicked on that tape, Retro threw up a message saying that it was already a member of a different backup set.

Was Retrospect actually asking for member #3?

Retrospect annoyingly uses the "different backup set" error message whenever the wrong tape member is in the drive, whether that tape member is part of a different media set or the current media set. (Note also the outdated reference to "backup set," which is the old Retro 6.1 and earlier terminology.)