rebuilding time?

I have a backup set that claims it needs to have it's catalog rebuilt (and since nothing works, I'm guessing it's right :-), how long should I expect it to take? the "data" part of the backup is about 2.3TB (yes, TB), the existing catalog file is about 2.5GB (compressed) and I'd estimate there are on the order of 4.5 million files in the backup. Yes I know that's excessive, but I didn't set it up and the guy who did isn't here anymore. Once I get it to a point where I can do something with it, I intend to re-organize it, but in the meantime...

Am I looking at hours or days or weeks to recreate the catalog file?

Thanks!

OK, so it was a semi-loaded question...

The disk on which all of the data exists is a 4 TB Buffalo NAS drive configured as RAID-5. It's on a 100MB network link. The server is running "Windows Server 2008 R2 standard" with SP1 installed. It's a 2.13GHz processor with 8GB memory. The catalog file is on the same NAS device.

So far it's up to 15 *DAYS*. I think it's close to done (completed is 4525089 files, 2296GB 15 02:37:33 sec).

I thought that was a bit too long :-(

Bruce

OK, so it was a semi-loaded question...

The disk on which all of the data exists is a 4 TB Buffalo NAS drive configured as RAID-5. It's on a 100MB network link. The server is running "Windows Server 2008 R2 standard" with SP1 installed. It's a 2.13GHz processor with 8GB memory. The catalog file is on the same NAS device.

So far it's up to 15 *DAYS*. I think it's close to done (completed is 4525089 files, 2296GB 15 02:37:33 sec).

I thought that was a bit too long :-(

Bruce

Are you sure it's a 100Mb/s network?

You can see the network utilization in Windows' task manager. How much is it? Is the link really 100Mb/s.

Are the values still counting up? (I mean number of files and amount of GB). If they are, just hang in there, as it should "soon" be finished.

We do use NAS servers, but they are on a gigabit network. So they have never been near your time.

I was mistaken... WTM says the link speed is 1Gb/s, but for some reason it's only using about 2% of that. I wonder if there's a bottleneck in the network somewhere... Off to chase that down.

On a positive note, at least it's "moving forward" (the numbers are increasing :-)

Agreed on the split. Not quite sure why the guy who set it up did it that way, and he's not here anymore to ask. Is it possible to move an existing catalog file to a different (local) disk and tell retrospect to "look here, not there" or do I need to recatalog again?

Thanks!

Bruce

Is it possible to move an existing catalog file to a different (local) disk and tell retrospect to "look here, not there" or do I need to recatalog again?

Up to at least version 7.6, you just double-click the catalog file in the new location.

Don't know about version 7.7.