Cant restore with .RDB files!

evan42781

Hello All,

I have tried searching around and even though there are a few threads on this topic, none of them are updated with a solution.

I am trying to restore my computer from a set of backups that I have (all on an external HDD, files are called Retrospect Disk Backup Set with .rdb file extensions).

When I go to recreate the catalog and choose from disk and select my external hard drive it says "there are no backup sets on drive"??

Also when I look at the file types that Retrospect is trying to find it only list .rbc and .rbf file extensions.

So how can I restore my computer with the .rdb files I have?

Thanks!

• Like 3

It sounds like some type of corruption could exist to the files. Did you copy these files from one disk to another or perform some type of "unerase" on the files after a disk crash?

I did not copy these files from one disk to another or performed any type of "unerase"

Are the files on a local disk or a NAS?

They are located on a local disk.

• 2 weeks later...

What version of Retrospect are you using?

I am having the exact same problem with additional stuff.

I downloaded files from a computer several years ago to an Iomega portable drive.

I have 7.6 software, but the code I got with it will not work.

I tried to contact Retrospect all day with absolutely no results.

I finally downloaded a 30 day trial of 7.7 just to get the files I need.

I try and use the Retrospect 7.7 and also get to a point where it is looking for rdc. or .rbf files but not .rbd files.

I am tearing my hair out. I am not a computer geek, but usually can get what I want.

PS I would like to get a workable code to open the software I got with my Iomega HD and also find out how to open the .rdb files.

Please, please, please help me.

Ok sorry its taken me so long to get back but I had to find another HDD to copy my backup files too. So I transferred the backup files to another disk and I get the same error. So we are in the same spot. Mayoff, any ideas now?

I have tried to open the files after copying them to my computer and also directly from the Iomega drive to no avail.

It is not a comtamination problem, it is a retrospect problem.

The retrospect is only looking for .rbc and .rbf files.

.RDB files can not be "opened" by any program other then Retrospect during a restore or catalog rebuild.

>The retrospect is only looking for .rbc and .rbf files.

Velox, that is not correct. Retrospect's "recreate from disk" option does NOT look for .rbc files or .rbf files. It only looks for .rdb files. If the files are not recognized, that points to corruption to the .rdb files. You can try removing the first couple of files from the folder. If they are corrupted it could prevent a rebuild.

Mayoff,

I will try to deleate a file or two and see what happens.

Can you help me geta a working validation code for my 7.6 Retrospect that I got with my eGo HDD?

I have the code that I got with the HD and I get a message that it is the wrong code.

• 4 weeks later...

Steps I used to to read old Retrospect backups on an external drive where the catalog is no longer available

Tools

Repair Catalog

Select Recreate from disks => OK

All disks

My Computer (or path to where Retrospect files are)

<select the required source drive>

<select a high level directory where files are>

OK

Retrospect will list a backup(s) from which to rebuild the catalog for example "Full P4 23 03 2009"

Select a backup => OK

Retrospect will then ask where to store the rebuilt catalog (a rdc file)

This new catalog file can be used with Retrospect Restore commands to read files from the backup.

• 1 month later...

i am using express 6.5. the back up is stored on an external hard drive. I am trying to restore these files to a computer running xp. I did a total system restore of xp laptop with the hard drive disconnected. then reinstalled retrospect, connected the external hard drive. Like the other user explains. these are rdb files that retrospect says don't exsist. I have tried everything that is listed on this thread so far with no luck. even copied the files directly to the xp laptop. There are two different folders with rdb files one is Backup Set C, the other labeles Sunday A. About to lose my head.

I have tried to open the files after copying them to my computer and also directly from the Iomega drive to no avail.

It is not a comtamination problem, it is a retrospect problem.

The retrospect is only looking for .rbc and .rbf files.

Velox: when you click "Repair Catalog", you need to select the "Recreate from disks" option, NOT the "Repair file backup set" option. Have you tried that?