Error adding new source in server version

I'm trying out the mac server version 9.0.1. I want to add a NAS device as a source (terminology seems backwards, as I want this to be the target of my backups). When I attempt to add the source, I get the error "can't find the requested responder (-530)".

I first click the button 'Add Source Directly...". The only fields that are available are Address and Password. The user guide, and some video tutorials on the web, show that there should be a username field too, but there is no username field. I add the source by typing "smb://qnap3/sharedfolder" in the address field. Since there is no username field, I'm not sure what I'd type for a password. When I click the Add button, it waits for a few seconds and displays the error.

Any ideas? Is this a limitation of the trail version?

Thanks,

Craig

Are you clicking on the Share icon at the top of the sheet that opens after you click on the Add icon?

The default when the sheet opens is Clients which will give you the wrong dialog for attaching a NAS.

You would then get a sheet that asks for a Share address and options of how to authenticate to the remote

server.

I'm trying out the mac server version 9.0.1. I want to add a NAS device as a source (terminology seems backwards, as I want this to be the target of my backups). When I attempt to add the source, I get the error "can't find the requested responder (-530)".

I first click the button 'Add Source Directly...". The only fields that are available are Address and Password. The user guide, and some video tutorials on the web, show that there should be a username field too, but there is no username field. I add the source by typing "smb://qnap3/sharedfolder" in the address field. Since there is no username field, I'm not sure what I'd type for a password. When I click the Add button, it waits for a few seconds and displays the error.

Any ideas? Is this a limitation of the trail version?

Thanks,

Craig

The destination of a backup is always a "Media Set". A Media Set can bet of different types, the most common are "disk" and "tape". A Media Set has "members" of the type corresponding to the type of the Media Set.

So, you should create a Disk Media Set and add your NAS volume as a Member.

(Where did you get the idea of adding it as a source?)

I was relating "Source" to a Resource. As in, available volumes or devices to be used as a source or target location.

I understand the Media Set/Members concept. Thats where I started. But when I try to add a Member to the Media Set, my mounted NAS volume does not appear in the list of available volumes. Only the System drive and a firewire drive appear. My next thought was that I needed to specify network volumes for Retrospect to use. I searched the user guide for 'NAS' and came to page 83 which talks about entering the address and credentials of a network volume. This made sense because Retrospect would need to have the address and login credentials of the network location, whether it is a source or target. Thats where I ran into the error. Rob's comment got me a little further, but I still couldn't get the NAS connected. I stopped trying after reading your post.

So, if adding a Source is not the way to add a NAS volume as a Member to a Media Set, how do I add the NAS if it doesn't show up as a volume? I would not expect the NAS volume to be mounted at all times, so there should be an option to enter the address and credentials, right?

Good to know. But, according to you, adding the NAS as a Source is not what I need to do. The problem appears to be that I can't see any mounted network volumes when I try to add a Member to a Disk Media Set. How can I get the network shares to appear in the list of volumes when I adding a new Member? I'm assuming the shares first need to be mounted because there is no where to enter the address/credentials when ading a member.

It turns out that Rob and Lennart were both half right. I realized that the User's Guide included with v9 is actually for v8. The User's Guide Addendum had my answer on page 9. Before adding a network share as a Member, you need to add the share to the Media Sets by selecting Media Sets > Add > Share. You can then enter the address and credentials to access the share. It will then show up when adding a Member to a Media Set. This works regardless of whether the share is mounted in Finder or not.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This works regardless of whether the share is mounted in Finder or not.

Perhaps "this" works; but you will not have reliable behavior if you configure Retrospect when the remote Source volume (and yes, a network share point is a Source even when it's going to be used as a Member of a Media Set) mounted at the same time by any user other then "0".

It's about paths and OS X; trust me (or search the Forum for related subjects).

Dave