copy media set to tape asks to choose media prematurely

I have a 9 TB array dedicated to Retro 9.0.1 (Mac Pro, OS X Server 10.6.8) backups as a disk media set. That media set is called "BigBak" and is now approximately 3 TB in size. Now I want to use a "Copy Media Set" script to copy the set to LTO-5 tape for off-site archiving.

I've tried this several times already with the same results: after writing around 350 GB to tape Retro stops with a flashing question mark and asks to "choose media". In my experience with normal (not copy) backups, this has always meant that the tape is full and it needs another. But the LTO-5 tape can hold at worst 1.5 TB so is not even close to being full. Furthermore, when I click on the "choose media button", I get a message that "1-BigBak not found, locate or add new member". But the disk media set is mounted, and besides, why would it be asking to find the source, instead of the destination?

Obviously I am not understanding something about this. Any help would be appreciated.

I tried this on a similar machine, except the tape is LTO-4 (approx 800 GB per tape uncompressed), and the source is a file-based media set, not a disk-based media set. The backup completed with no errors, writing 729 GB to one tape. So is there something either about disk-based backups that's different, or is it just a bug?

So is there something either about disk-based backups that's different, or is it just a bug?

We tried unsuccessfully to get staged backups going with Retro 8.2, doing a Copy Media Set from a disk backup set to LTO-5 tape, and ran into similar incomprehensible error messages. The catalogs for both the source disk media set and the destination tape media set became hosed in the process, and had to be rebuilt.

We abandoned the process, hoping that Retro 9 would behave better. I haven't yet made the attempt, but your experience is not encouraging. I'd love to hear from anyone who has been able to successfully copy from a disk media set to a tape media set.

This is what the maul says:

• File Media Sets combine the Catalog file and the backed-up data into a single file stored on a volume. They can be saved anywhere a Disk Media Set can be saved, but they are limited by the size of the volume on which it is stored, and also the maximum file size of the file system (FAT32, NTFS, HFS+, etc.). Backups in a File Media Set cannot span across media. File Media Sets are useful for small jobs where every- thing (the Catalog and the backed up data) is self-contained in a single file, but in most cases, you should use Disk Media Sets.

So, just play BS? (Maximum file size for HFS+ is 8 exabytes)

This is what the maul says:

• File Media Sets combine the Catalog file and the backed-up data into a single file stored on a volume. They can be saved anywhere a Disk Media Set can be saved, but they are limited by the size of the volume on which it is stored, and also the maximum file size of the file system (FAT32, NTFS, HFS+, etc.). Backups in a File Media Set cannot span across media. File Media Sets are useful for small jobs where every- thing (the Catalog and the backed up data) is self-contained in a single file, but in most cases, you should use Disk Media Sets.

So, just play BS? (Maximum file size for HFS+ is 8 exabytes)

That's very interesting. Note that the error message you saw refers to a "backup set;" that terminology ended with Retro 6.1. So, is the above text aspirational, kinda like the semi-support for optical media in Retro 8/9 that may become more "real" in the future? Or is the current limitation a mistake; merely some inadvertent holdover from Retro 6?

• 1 month later...