Sign in to follow this  
Don Lee

Looking for manual "new media" action

Welcome back. I like the news.

I now have 3 installations of Retrospect and want to report some things that are bugging me.

I have long followed a regimen where I run a tape/file backup for some period of time and "rotate" the backup set(s) by manually selecting the media set and using the options->new media option. This allowed me to "rotate" to the new set, but did not force me to update all the scripts.

As far as I can tell, this can't be done in Retro 9 - except - as part of a backup operation. Further, that backup operation has to be *scheduled*, because the only place I see to select the "new media" action is where the scripts are scheduled.

I also liked that Retro 6 let me tweak the name of the backup set when I did the "rotate". Retro 9 gives me no option. It adds the [00N] unconditionally - and there is no way to rename either the media set or its members.

Am I missing something? Can this be done, or do I have to live with the "fixed" names, and running "special" scripts to "rotate" my media sets? Is there some stylistic usage pattern here that I'm missing?

Thank you,

-dgl-

I now have 3 installations of Retrospect and want to report some things that are bugging me.

Unfortunately, bugging the user doesn't mean that there's a bug.

I have long followed a regimen where I run a tape/file backup for some period of time and "rotate" the backup set(s) by manually selecting the media set and using the options->new media option. This allowed me to "rotate" to the new set, but did not force me to update all the scripts.

As far as I can tell, this can't be done in Retro 9 - except - as part of a backup operation.

True, unfortunately.

Further, that backup operation has to be *scheduled*, because the only place I see to select the "new media" action is where the scripts are scheduled.

Not so. You can create a script with a small source, set the Rule to "No files," and run this special script manually whenever you want to prepare a new media set. While not quite as handy as Retro 6 was, it's a pretty quick operation.

I also liked that Retro 6 let me tweak the name of the backup set when I did the "rotate". Retro 9 gives me no option. It adds the [00N] unconditionally - and there is no way to rename either the media set or its members.

Am I missing something? Can this be done, or do I have to live with the "fixed" names, and running "special" scripts to "rotate" my media sets? Is there some stylistic usage pattern here that I'm missing?

Retro 6 was a more mature product and had many useful features and modes of operation that do not (yet) exist in Retro 9. The fact that they are absent isn't a bug; just a disappointment.

You might want to create a post in the Product Suggestions forum for possible inclusion in a future version.