Sign in to follow this  
lfreeman

Restore SQL DB Logs to Different SQL Server

I am backing up my production database with a Full backup weekly and log backups daily between the full backup. I am testing my backup by restoring the full snapshot to my backup SQL Server and this process works correctly. However, when I select a log snapshot I cannot cannot continue because the 'Restore database' button remains grayed out.

I have tried to select other log snapshots than the most recent and I have switched the destination to the original server. Neither selection enable the 'Restore database' button.

How can I restore the most recent version of the database using a combination of Full and Log backups? If I cannot restore a Log backup then what use are they? What should my backup strategy be to be able to backup and restore a complete database to my backup server? Ideally, not a full backup every day.

I am a DBA in a small IT company. The RESTORE LOG command allows you to restore a transaction log backup. The options include restoring the entire transaction log or to a certain point in time or to a certain transaction mark.