Tracking down "Trouble Communicating" errors

Hi There,

We're having issues trying to track down a "Trouble communicating" error with a backup disk.

The disk in question is a removable 2TB hard drive and we've tried it in two different caddy's and tried connecting it via Firewire and eSATA. But the backup fails (at a different point each time) no matter how the disk is mounted.

I've also tried copying several gigabytes of data on/off the disk using the finder but MAC OSX doesn't seems to have any issues with the disk.

Is there something specific Retrospect requires in order to talk to a disk that might have failed or that we might've missed?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Ben

It isn't clear if the disk in question is the source or a member of the destination? (The destination is always a "media set", not a disk or tape).

If it is a member of the destination, have you tried another source?

When the disk was erased, did you zero out all data (which takes hours)? Or was it just a fast erase (which takes a minute or two)?

Thanks heaps for the reply and sorry for the confusion - the disk is a member of a destination.

I formatted the disk and left it zeroing all data overnight so am trying a new backup now.

Will post again if I have issues but obviously something was wrong with this particular disk as the other 2 members have been fine.

Cheers

Ben