9 and older storagesets

I've been using 6 for years and back to v 3. I don't use Retrospect for backup, instead I archive to tape.

Can 9 still archive and will it read my old storage sets? I did convert all my really old storagesets to v6. But want to make sure I can read them.

Also, we do all of our work off of a server, but the tape archive is on a different machine. Do I need to install on a server OS or can I do the same as I've done in the past?

Finally, What the heck happened? Dantz to EMC to Roxio to Retrospect? I can't keep track of what the heck is going on anymore.

Thanks. And hopefully this will be the last move for a while.

Can 9 still archive and will it read my old storage sets? I did convert all my really old storagesets to v6. But want to make sure I can read them.

Retro 9 can perform archiving the same way that Retro 6 did. It can also read v6 and 6.1 Backup Sets, but unfortunately not the catalogs. You will need to rebuild a v.8/9 catalog from the v.6 tapes. Retro 9 cannot read earlier StorageSets, but having converted them to v.6 Backup Sets, you should be OK

Also, we do all of our work off of a server, but the tape archive is on a different machine. Do I need to install on a server OS or can I do the same as I've done in the past?

Retro 9 engine and console can run on either the normal or the server OS. If you will be backing up or archiving files from a machine with a server OS, you will need to purchase either the Retrospect Single Server edition or the Multi Server edition.

Finally, What the heck happened? Dantz to EMC to Roxio to Retrospect? I can't keep track of what the heck is going on anymore.

StorageSet to Backup Set to Media Set. Keep repeating to yourself, "Media Set, Media Set, Media Set..." ;)

• 4 months later...

Just to be clear, The tape drive and restrospect will be running on OS X client. The data is stored on OS X Server. So I would need atleast Single server to archive data off of that machine.

Is that correct?

Thanks, sorry it took so long, got busy with other things.