I thought I had seen something on this before, but now I can't find it so I apologize for asking again.

Once you've set a backup set as uncompressed - which in our case uses a lot more tapes - can you turn on compression for the same set? Or can you not mix compressed and uncompressed files on a given backup set?

thanks.

There are three types of compression, which one do you refer to?

1. Compress the catalog file.

2. Software compression of the contents of the backup set. Usually disabled for tape media sets.

3. Hardware compression in the tape drive. I think that is quite hard to turn off. Are you sure you have HW compression turned off?

That checkbox shouldn't be needed for tape backup sets, as the compression takes place in the tape drive.

If you look at the members in the tape backup set, how much is stored on each tape (at most)?

How much capacity are there on each tape, according to the manufacturer, EXCLUDING compression? (Manufacturers often assumes 2:1 compression when they state tape capacity. With (very) fine print, they state the actual capacity.)

I guess the question is not whether or needed or not, but whether anything bad will happen by turning on the checkbox for a backup set on which the original and previous incremental backups had it turned off. It does seem to make a difference as backups that fit on four tapes before are now requiring six or more.

That checkbox shouldn't be needed for tape backup sets, as the compression takes place in the tape drive.

Some (especially older) tape drives do not offer hardware compression, so software compression can be helpful in these cases. If the tape drive does provide hardware compression, Retrospect automatically disables software compression.

I'm pretty sure that Retrospect 6.x can handle backup sets where some of the data is compressed and the remainder is not (I seem to recall our having done this in the distant past). To verify this, I would create a test backup set in which you turn on compression after writing some uncompressed data to the drive, and then confirm that you can restore data from the backup set.