Sign in to follow this  
Bela

Is Retro6 locks in/out?

Sorry this a is repost, in the new feature thread this question got no attention, probably burried by the number of messages....

Retro 5 had an annoying feature, namely if retrospect server started while a non admin user is logged in ( or the user logs in while the server is running) there is no way for him(her) to log out as retro needs amin privileg to be stopped. Was this addressed in V6.0? If not will it be solved?

It seems to me an obvious idea to separate Retrospect into a deamon which does the work and a GUI which communicates with the deamon when running.

I certainly will condition my workgroup update to this issue...

Eagerly waiting for a reply..

cheers

Bela

Hi

Retrospect 6.0 supports fast user switching so you can change users while running a backup. However you still cannot log out completely without stopping the backup.

In theory it would be simple to change this behavior but in practice it isn't so easy. Retrospect is evolving from a product that was created long before Unix style daemons were a twinkle in Apple's eye. Sometimes minor changes uncover all kinds of other things. Projects like Breaking the Terrabyte limit and Unicode support were huge untertakings - We are still playing catch up in a lot of respects.

Agreed, this is a feature that would provide a lot of flexibility to users and Dantz. The fact that it has not been implemented tells me that it isn't quite as easy as it sounds.

Nate