Copying snapshots to tape hangs soon after start

I'm running Retrospect Multiserver 7.7.562 on a fully patched Windows Server 2008 R2 64 bit system with 24GB RAM.

The tape drive that's attached to the server is an HP StorageWorks Ultrium 920 LTO-3 with the latest HP driver and firmware. It's attached to an HP SCSI controller, and I'm using brand new HP LTO-3 tapes.

HP's tape drive diagnostics show that the drive is functioning correctly in all respects.

When running the script to transfer snapshots to tape, the transfer starts, transfers a few files at high speed, and after a few seconds, hangs.

I've tried copying snapshots from a very small backup set with the same results.

I have to kill the Retrospect.exe process and restart the server to get Retrospect running again, and am now having a problem getting past the Activity Monitor to the main Retrospect program that I described in a previous topic.

For years, copying snapshots to this tape drive worked. It may have been the upgrade to 7.7 that broke the process.

I've had this problem previously on a Windows Server 2003 R2, and thought that moving the tape drive to a new server would solve the problem, but it didn't.

Any ideas on what the problem is?

Tom