Snapshots Are Not Complete?

I am running Retro 8.1 on Mac OS X Server 10.5.8. Trying to restore "entire folder" as a snapshot to an earlier date. Finding that it does not restore the entire folder, but only the files that were backed up on that date. So I have to restore a snapshot for each date from that date to the present, and each has to be in it's own unique destination folder? How is that supposed to be useful?

Try using Retrospect 8.2 instead. That should be a free update from 8.x

http://www.retrospect.com/support/archived

My mistake - the snapshot that is restored is complete, but in the list of snapshots, it only lists the number of files that were added at that time. I still can't figure out how to tell it from which media set I want it to look for backups - the media sets are not listed when you do "more backups".

Retro 8.2 and 9 crash on my Leopard servers. They run fine on SL server and I will be upgrading to SL server as soon as possible.

...in the list of snapshots, it only lists the number of files that were added at that time.

Yes, an annoying "feature."

I still can't figure out how to tell it from which media set I want it to look for backups - the media sets are not listed when you do "more backups".

Actually, they are listed. (You may need to adjust the media set column's width.) What's annoying, though, is that you cannot review the additional snapshots for more than one media set at a time, and you have to select an existing snapshot for the media set you want to search before clicking on the "More backups..." button in order to be able to view the other snapshots for that media set.

No version of Retrospect has never offered the ability to inspect the contents of a snapshot without proceeding to the file selection step of a restore operation. I guess the assumption is that you will probably know which snapshot date you want to revert the source back to in your restore.

If you are trying to decide on which particular file versions to restore, it's often best to use the "search for files" option in the restore process. This bypasses the snapshot and instead lists all the backed-up files matching your selection criteria.