On-Demand Client Options

I have just upgraded to 9.0.0 (319) Server with unlimited clients. Right now I have all Mac clients installed. On all the clients, if I try to choose either "Back up Now" or Restore Now" from the menu bar, It says "On-demand backup is not available on your Retrospect server".

But when I try to set my server to allow these options, I go to preferences and select "Clients". But the check boxes for On demand Back Up and Restore are both grayed out and I cannot turn these options on.

I am running the server engine on a MacPro 2x3 GHz quad Xeon with 6 GB RAM. Mac OS 10.6.8.

Clients are mostly iMac i7 8GB RAM, all Mac OS 10.6.8.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Don

Guest Steve Maser

Hmm...

I know for *upgraded clients* that you have to remove/readd them so that you can use the on-demand features.

But I've not seen the Server Preferences for Clients be greyed out. But I have a Multi-Server license, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

What happens if you restart your engine with a clean config80.dat file?

Hmm...

I know for *upgraded clients* that you have to remove/readd them so that you can use the on-demand features.

But I've not seen the Server Preferences for Clients be greyed out. But I have a Multi-Server license, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

What happens if you restart your engine with a clean config80.dat file?

Steve,

First off, thanks for the reply.

I tried with a new config80.dat file and there was no change. I guess I will keep trying and see if I can figure it out.

Don

Guest Steve Maser

You might want to contact customer service (or see if it's in the user manual) to see if there's a difference between single server and multi-server versions in this respect. (I have no way of testing a single-server version...)

SOLVED:

Just to let people know. I contacted customer support and asked about this.

They sent a response:

"What type of Media Sets are you using? Right now the Backup and Restore on demand only work with Disk type media sets."

My sets are tape, so that explains it. Maybe I should have figured it would only work on hard drives, but I did not see anything in the documentation. I don't know if I missed it or not. But if it isn't in there, hopefully Retrospect sees this and adds it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...