Exclude Time Machine/capsule Backups?

I've bitten the bullet & paid to upgrade Retrospect 8 to Retrospect 9. I have also opted not to install Lion server because of the Retrospect (server edition) price difference.

I'm using a Lion Mac mini with Retrospect 9 (server) to back up a couple of MacBook Pros (clients) over a home network. I'd like to select each MBP as a Source for the Backup Script (as opposed to the hard disk of each MBP) -- the reason is so that Retrospect will automatically backup any external hard drive or USB flash drive which may happen to be connected to the MBP at the time the backup is running overnight.

However, when a MBP is actively backing up to a Time Capsule via the inbuilt Time Machine software, a disk called "Time Machine Backups" is mounted on the MBP. This disk is seen by the Retrospect Server & seems to be automatically included in the Backup Script.

How do I exclude the "Time Machine Backups" disk from being backed up by Retrospect, while allowing all other external drives to be included in the backup?

I always select which volumes on the clients that is supposed to be backed up. I like to avoid backing up USB-sticks, digital cameras, cell phones and other "crud". If a user has a legitimate need to backup a certain external drive, that's fine. I just add it as a volume to be backed up.

I always select which volumes on the clients that is supposed to be backed up. I like to avoid backing up USB-sticks, digital cameras, cell phones and other "crud". If a user has a legitimate need to backup a certain external drive, that's fine. I just add it as a volume to be backed up.

Thanks. That's what I'm having to do now, but I'm not always told when something needs backing up by my significant other. Hence the need to automate the process, or it'll never happen. I was hoping there was some way to make a rule that excludes disks called "Time Machine Backup" or something like that.

Thanks. That's what I'm having to do now, but I'm not always told when something needs backing up by my significant other. Hence the need to automate the process, or it'll never happen. I was hoping there was some way to make a rule that excludes disks called "Time Machine Backup" or something like that.

You should be able to crate a Selector to exclude anything on a Volume Name of "Time Machine".