Backing Up From A Different Subnet

Monafly

I have looked through the manual and don't see enough info there to figure out how to do this. There are a couple of mentions in the Win forum of similar issues, but no recommendations.

I have RS9 multi-server license and we've just moved to a new building where each floor is a different subnet (ie: x.x.21.x and x.x.29.x) The RS machine is on the .21 subnet and can't see machines on the .29 subnet. I can ping them, but can't add them by address, they don't respond to a test (error -519 No client at this address).

I can't figure out (I'll admit I'm not a network guru) how to add another subnet to RS to even get it to attempt to access the machines on the other floors. No matter what I enter into the Preferences/Network/ panel for IP addresses or subnets it stays greyed out so I can't enter anything. What's the secret?

Thanks.

No matter what I enter into the Preferences/Network/ panel for IP addresses or subnets it stays greyed out so I can't enter anything.

Can you explain this more completely? If you can't enter anything then how does it not matter what you enter?

What exactly are you doing, and what exactly do you see when you do it.

-dave

I'm trying to enter 'something' into the Preferences/Network panel. I would have expected (naively probably) that this was where I specified an additional subnet to search for clients in.

Listed currently is the engine (Default with it's IP). I can't add anything to that panel, nor in the lower section ("Details") where subnet address and subnet mask are listed. Everything that I've tried to enter there (IP addresses, IP ranges etc.) never allow it to be added, so I don't know what form that entry requires. It wants a subnet address and has a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 auto-filled. I would have expected the subnet address to be of the form xxx.xxx.29.??? where the subnet that the engine lives in is xxx.xxx.21.

Is this clearer?

Thanks.

Edited by BobD.

Guest Steve Maser

Do you need to set it up to browse the other subnets? Or are your clients given static IP addresses (in which case you could add them by IP address or hostname...).

(I can't answer your specific question as I add all my clients in all my subnets by hostname directly, but I thought I'd give you a possible alternative...)

Do you need to set it up to browse the other subnets? Or are your clients given static IP addresses (in which case you could add them by IP address or hostname...).

(I can't answer your specific question as I add all my clients in all my subnets by hostname directly, but I thought I'd give you a possible alternative...)

Browsing other subnets would be ideal, but I think all clients are on static IP's so adding by address should work. The continuing problem is that I can't add any addresses that are not in the .21 subnet. As I originally stated- they don't show up in an RS test although I can ping them. Is it something with the way our network is configured that prevents RS from crossing subnet boundaries? I know you can't really answer that, but one of the network folks here said I couldn't do it as all the UDP and TCP ports are blocked at the routers and another says that the network is completely open. Since that is their realm, I'm not sure whether it's their problem or an RS problem and I don't know how to test to see who's problem it is.

Thanks.

Guest Steve Maser

Retrospect connects to the client over port 497. Use Network Utility to do a port scan of one of the clients in the remote subnet and see what ports are open on the client between subnets.

It might be a client firewall thing -- you could have the client portscan itself (127.0.0.1) and see if 497 is open on the client first.